Car Rental Agencies - the good, bad, ugly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All set with our accomodations for our first trip 1/2 in Westpunt, 1/2 in Willemstad. Definitely getting a car/truck. Any outfits better than the rest? Any negative reviews out there to stay away from?

We rented from Budget. We did some comparison shopping and they all seemed to be about the same price. The advantage was they're open from 6:30AM till 10:30PM at the Airport. We had a pretty early flight home so it was convenient. It's a pretty small airport so any of them probably are similar. Curacao Car Rentals - Budget Rent a Car - The easiest way to get around!

When going to C: try this Noordstar Rent A Car
I have rented several times from them and they have god cars for a reasonable price. Go for the Hilux, not fast but very good for the bad roads of C.

are most shore dive locations such that you don't really need a 4wd truck or are they more remote dirt roads where it would be advisable? There's only 2 of us so we won't be loaded down too badly

Truck/4whl not needed on Curaçao.

No basically any car will do. A 4 wd is not necessary. But there are a lot of bad roads. So I use a truck because it sits a bit higher, and there are a lot of bad drivers out there too, which makes me feel safer in a bigger car :)
But you won't need to do real off-roading.
Don't leave any valuables in the car when you are parking remotely and take a little water proof container with you to put the keys in so you don't have to leave them on land.

We used Just Drive and they were great!. We used a Kia Rio and did a lot of driving. We didn't feel the need for a truck at all. the trunk had lots of space for 4 tanks and our scuba gear.
The nice thing with them is the 2nd driver is free, no additional charges like some other rental agencies. If you choose to pay by credit card there is an extra charge. Ours amount to $22 for our 2 week rental. :auto::auto:

Truck/4whl not needed on Curaçao.

I agree for a lot of dive sites you don't need a truck. But if you want to dive sites like Largu, Manzalina, Shon Moza or Hundu I strongly recommend you to get a truck, although I see people do it with small rental cars.

(They must be really brave or the don't care about losing there deposit)

4wd is overkill

We got ours thru fox rental car. You can pick up in town or at airport. Current price is 23.99/day.

Back
Top Bottom