carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who fills the tanks for Dive Palancar? Has the filling station been notified of their hazardous filling practices? How many filling stations are there on Coz?

Even though I'm enjoying the discussion about the CO analyzer... I'm kindda skeptic that this really happen the way it was depicted by the OP. Maybe it's just me, but it's difficult to not question the post trueness when the very first post of someone is a bashing one... If I'm wrong, I apologize, but it would be nice to see more facts, like how did the OP figured out it was a CO problem?

Who fills the tanks for Dive Palancar? Has the filling station been notified of their hazardous filling practices? How many filling stations are there on Coz?

Dive Palancar has their own compressor on site at the main operation next door at the Allegro.

I've never had or seen anyone who's had a problem with carbon monoxide poisoning in Cozumel, but I've never dove with Dive Palancar, either. That said, I do always request Nitrox for my dives in Cozumel because I often get headaches when I dive on the air tanks there. Never had that problem with the Nitrox. I thought it might be CO2 leakage in the compressor (or some such, pardon my ignorance having never filled a tank myself), but I suppose it could just as easily be CO.

I have heard that some, such as fire departments in NA, have an in-line monitor that shuts down the compressor if CO is detected. It would be smart for dive operators to do likewise. A small price to pay for ensuring safety and piece of mind.

It is funny that operators test for O2 percentage in Nitrox and then expect YOU to double check their work with your own monitor but when it comes to CO, nobody seems to care, apart from a quarterly sample being sent in for analysis. A yearly or quarterly sample is just a snap-shot and does not necessarily expose sporadic problems. With the advent of cheap, portable CO monitors, I hope a lot more attention to this issue will be given in years to come.

I am here in Bonaire where it is a matter of course for the compressors to be located right at "drive-thurs" where there is a constant source of truck exhaust present around the compressors. The ambient air at such stations is often above 10 ppm. I only get my air from operators after ensuring that the compressor is at least 50 feet from any POSSIBLE source of exhaust such as land vehicles or boats. I would rather carry the tank a few feet and have clean air than breath CO under pressure. I also have a high end portable CO monitor so I know what the ambient air is around the station, though I have yet to directly measure tank air. I bought this monitor after being poisoned by a landlord who had not fixed a hole between the parking garage and my first floor apartment.

I am done diving this trip but plan on making it a practice to now ensure there is no CO in my tanks from here on in.

CO is a lurking potential problem in fills.

Keeping CO out of a compressor system requires good design and maintenance and vigilance.

Is Dive Plancar a PADI resort? As I recall, PADI requires at least quarterly air quality testing. Quarterly isn't enough at a busy fill station.

PLEASE CONTACT PADI IMMEIDATELY IF IT'S A PADI RESORT. This could be a real safety issue.

Dive Palancar is a 5 star PADI Resort. It's Store # is S-3013.

IF (repeat IF) this dive operation is giving bad fills, this is a serious safety issue and a standards violation.

If you are confident that CO was a factor, please contact PADI immediately. PADI's number is 800-729-7234.

If you're not sure, it cannot hurt to contact PADI and to tell them that CO might be an issue at the dive op. Just be honest and tell them that you're not sure.

I'm kindda skeptic that this really happen the way it was depicted by the OP. Maybe it's just me, but it's difficult to not question the post trueness when the very first post of someone is a bashing one... If I'm wrong, I apologize, but it would be nice to see more facts, like how did the OP figured out it was a CO problem?

I agree. There isn't one PEEP about this over in the Cozumel forum and they don't miss a thing that happens there. I would also like to see some facts and data here.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom