career considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
For almost a year now I've been thinking about dive instructing as a possible career change. After spending a little bit of time reading through various threads on this and other forums I'm led to conclude that one does this for the love of diving and not because it's a particularly viable form of employment. Is this pretty much close to the truth? Don't get me wrong I was never interested in this as a way of getting rich. I'm just trying to find something that I actually like to do that would also pay the bills. Besides, it's not like I'm making tons of money at my present job (graphic design). In any case I figure I can always take on contract design work as a sideline.

I am mainly interested in working in Australia. I'm from Quebec (Canada), but have been to Oz a couple of times. That's where I've done my diving so far. So I'm mainly interested in finding out about the australian dive industry.

Thanks all,
Max

You can always be an instructor part-time, independently. That's what I plan on doing someday. Not something that i rely on, but something i can do for some extra cash on the weekends if i need too.

MaxwellBeckett:
Hello everyone,
For almost a year now I've been thinking about dive instructing as a possible career change. After spending a little bit of time reading through various threads on this and other forums I'm led to conclude that one does this for the love of diving and not because it's a particularly viable form of employment. Is this pretty much close to the truth? Don't get me wrong I was never interested in this as a way of getting rich. I'm just trying to find something that I actually like to do that would also pay the bills. Besides, it's not like I'm making tons of money at my present job (graphic design). In any case I figure I can always take on contract design work as a sideline.

I am mainly interested in working in Australia. I'm from Quebec (Canada), but have been to Oz a couple of times. That's where I've done my diving so far. So I'm mainly interested in finding out about the australian dive industry.

Thanks all,
Max
I would look into immigration laws first, more and more countries are putting quotas/hurdles up for immigration, especially if it is not for VERY specific (read scarce) skills.

Hello Max,

You already know the diving in OZ, and don't know if you got the chance to talk to some Instructors from there, but working in the diving industry over there pays more than the bills. Especially in Cairns where it's all about diving. Just go for it!:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom