Caribbean drinking ages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billinwilliamston

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
One of my step-daughters turns 18 in November. We're toying with the idea of taking her and one of her 18 year old friends on a trip where they're able to legally celebrate turning 18 and we can all get a little diving in as well.

We know the drinking age is 18 in the Cayman Islands, but we thought we would check elsewhere as well. Any one know where else in the Caribbean an 18 year old considered a full-fledged adult?

Thanks.

Do their parents approve of their children drinking alcohol when they are supposed to be under your supervision?

ScubaSam99:
USVI and BVI is 18 but see my post re: St. Thomas.

What post are uou refering to?:confused: do you have a link?

rakkis:
Do their parents approve of their children drinking alcohol when they are supposed to be under your supervision?

I could (and probably should) get offended by that comment, but I don't know you and you don't know me, so I'll let the "supposed to be under your supervision" flame go.

There is no way that we would take anyone whose parents are not fully onboard with the idea. This is not about sneaking around behind anyone's back. It's about respecting the law of the land even when we don't agree with it. God knows it would be a whole lot cheaper just to throw a party here, but, while they are adult enough to choose a president and more than adult enough to go die in the Middle East, 18 year olds are not allowed to drink here. Since they can't drink here, we'll go somewhere else to allow them to celebrate as they see fit (as long as they never leave our sight and there's no men involved).

Children under 18 must be accompanied by money. I can't imagine anyone questioning a parent buying a drink for his or her child. In many places (okay, not Cayman), they sell you the rum and the coca-cola separately, and the rum is cheaper than the coke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom