Carnival Cruise Line coming to Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read this with some degree of sadness: http://www.turksandcaicos.tc/FreePress/index.htm
As a diver I am sure not happy to see the development but I am sure that the locals hope to make a better living by bringing in tourism. We'll see.

The hottest debate right now is who gets the Porta Potty contract! Once you get there you'll understand. Here's an example. Last time I was there, in September, a 747 jet had to make an emergency landing on the island. They were coming from Puerto Rico, heaiding to Missouri or something, and started leaking fuel. Well, they landed all right. But it took 2 1/2 hours to get everyone off the plane cuz no one could find a ladder tall enough to get to the passengers!! They literally held a ladder on top of the airline stairway, and a fireman held each passenger as they exited. And with 167 passengers in GDT airport, there was Very Quickly NOTHING to eat. Bear in mind this happened on a Sunday, and only ONE restaurant is open on Sunday, the Osprey. And there's only ONE food delivery a week, on Wednesday......nuff said? So this one old lady who has a 'consecion' outside the airport (read small cooler with juice and water) packed up her cooler with sandwiches that she made and sold them all Very Quickly). A bunch of us were at the Osprey that evening, the flight crew came in as they were kindly put up there for the night, they bought us drinks, it was an interesting evening. :)
Now I realize this isn't quite the same as the cruise ship deal, but it perhaps gives a tiny clue as to how prepared the island is to cope with the onslaught. There is no infrastructure there to accomodate this. Period. But it does make for interesting conversation. BTW, the new pier is scheduled to be built over the most popular night dive spot on the island, Library. Make sure you dive it so you can say you did 'back when'.
I look forward to your trip report when you get back. And once again, have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :cake:
Beck

Hopefully it won't have much impact on the diving/environment. A cruise ship also stops by Christmas Island (Kiribati) occasionally. They end up anchoring out/standing off shore and shuttle people to the island by ship's boats for day trips around the island and are gone at the end of the day.

Rickg

I could only view the front page of the article, and it wouldn't load the 2nd page.
Can you paste it here?

Natasha:
I could only view the front page of the article, and it wouldn't load the 2nd page.
Can you paste it here?

Here is the entire article:

Cruise ship deal signed
INTERVIEW:
Government last week signed a development agreement for the $35million Carnival Cruise Ship Port project in Grand Turk. A top ranking delegation from the Turks and Caicos Islands led by H.E. Governor James Poston and Chief Minister Michael Misick, accompanied by Deputy Chief Minister Floyd Hall, Minister of Works and Communications, Hon McAllister Hanchell and Miss Rhondalee Brathwaite from the Attorney General’s office met in the boardroom of Carnival Headquarters in Miami with Carnival senior officials.
The Governor and Chief Minister signed on behalf of the Turks and Caicos Islands and Mr. Giora Israel on behalf of Carnival Cruise Lines. Mr. Israel, speaking on behalf of Carnival’s Chairman, Mr. Mickey Arison, who was unable to attend the signing,said it was a pleasant experience working with the government, indicating that they took a proactive approach in securing this project for the Turks & Caicos Islands. He also noted that Carnival’s team is eager to proceed with fulfilling the expectations set out in the agreement. Although the signing is a major accomplishment, he said it is only the beginning as the task of mobilizing physical construction of the Port and support facilities lie ahead. Mr. Israel stressed Carnival’s commitment to the project and promised to work closely with the Government and the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands in developing a unique Port befitting of the destination. H. E. The Governor congratulated Carnival’s representatives and the Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands on signing the Development Agreement. He applauded the efforts of Carnival and was delighted that the Island Grand Turk was finally attracting a developer who had the means to fulfill its obligations under the Development Agreement. He said that over the years the residents of Grand Turk have had high expectations of private sector investment that never came to fruition therefore, it is good to see the plans for the Carnival project well on track. He also expressed confidence in the developers and looks forward to the Port’s completion in November 2005.
The Chief Minister thanked members of the Attorney General’s office, especially Marsha Cummings and Rhondalee Brathwaite for their untiring efforts in preparing and scrutinizing all the supporting documentation for this project. Chief Minister Misick noted that it was not easy getting to this point and that in spite of the numerous obstacles and challenges, the project has survived and now takes on a life of its own. He also expressed pleasure in working with the representatives from Carnival. Noting that Carnival is the leader in cruise ship tourism, Chief Minister Misick stated that the residents of Grand Turk stand to benefit tremendously and indeed the entire Turks and Caicos Island as a result of this diversification in our tourism product.
The signing ceremony concluded with presentations of gifts to H.E. the Governor and the Chief Minister by Mr. Israel. The group later met for lunch at a restaurant in Miami where further informal discussions about the Grand Turk Cruise ship port continued. Full-scale construction will begin after approval of the detailed blueprints and the selection of the construction companies around July 2004. The facilities are expected to be completed to accommodate the first ships into port on 15 November 2005.

Thanks Tim. I like to see island tourism grow, but killing reefs and dive sites to do it, is so terrible, and hurts so much.
It would have been so much better if they would have tendered instead of docking.

Natasha:
Thanks Tim. I like to see island tourism grow, but killing reefs and dive sites to do it, is so terrible, and hurts so much.
It would have been so much better if they would have tendered instead of docking.

What, and inconvenience the touristas? Never!

What a drag man.......Looks like I am going to have to find a way to get to GT next summer before the crowds ruin it!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom