Carry on luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you'll find on a liveaboard is that you don't need many clothes. I took about 6 sets and brought 2 back unused. Mostly you live in your swimsuit/t-shirt during the day. I don't use a wetsuit so I stayed in mine all day and just changed for dinner. Crocs or flip-flops for walking around on deck, most captains won't let you use any shoes that will mark the boat.

What BC do you have? I've had several and all fit into an airline approved roller with some room left over for regs, computer mask etc. On our recent Nekton trip, it seemed like the rental regs were the problem not the BC's.

I also cheat a little on the "personal item" - I have a big laptop bag...

If you're really board and have a lot of free time, you could wear you BC loaded to the gills with compass, lights, (reflective)thermal blanket, and weights. Oh yeah, don't forget a 10-15 ft piece of rope, preferably white. Let an end of the rope dangle from your weight pocket. You'll be the center of attention with airport security. They'll whisk you off to a private party. The festivities will begin with a cavity search followed by hours and hours of the game "1001 questions" and just maybe the party will end with a vacation from the stresses of life. To maintain your stress free environment they'll provide you with a maximum security facility, a meal and exercise plans, and the company of other fun loving guests. Just maybe you'll be invited to join a fraternity. The excitement doesn't end there. You'll have mixers. The fraternity presidents plans mixers with the other "frats". They could be one on one or as groups. Don't forget the party favors...shanks and shivs. Frat members spend hours sometimes days making the party favors. They put forth great effort that blood sweat, and tears are poured. :wink:

Seriously, check your BC, fins, boots, and mask. Carry your reg and computer.

One thing about cruise ships. I would never check in my dive gears on cruises. They'd reimburse only $50 per missing luggage. They claim that you can declare the value before boarding to get full reimbursement, but when you ask them about it, they act as if they never heard of their own rules. Then they try to sell you insurance.

It is simply better to pull your luggages with valuable goods onboard by yourself, so those greedy baggage handlers don't bug you for tips. We've met folks on cruise ships missing their luggages for days - probably dropped off at the wrong cabin, and someone chose not to return it.

So much of this issue is airline, destination, duration and gear configuration dependant. What works for one trip on one airline to destination may mot be right for another trip.

Say for example, I am traveling to Hawaii to dive for 5 days, I need X amount of stuff. However, if I am going to Scotland to dive Scapa Flow for a month, my luggage configuration will be completely different.

Bottom line is, do you check your gear and trust it will arrive safely and on time? For me, yes. I don’t feel like schlepping all that stuff as a carry-on. I only carry on my laptop and camera gear, check the rest and hope it all arrives. So far, dozens of flights, no issue.

After having my checked bag not arrive in Bonaire for 5 days after i arrived, I always put all my important things in a carry-on. I don't mind rolling it around the airport.

I fit this in a carry-on: BC, regulator, camera and strobe, mask, computer, laptop computer and charger in the flap on the long side of the carryon, bathing suit, skin, sun visor, booties, one change of clothes, sandals, fins may go along edge or I have strapped them to the outside with a bungie cord. The thing weighs about 40 lbs, but at least I have my stuff! Toiletries and clothes can be checked.

Back
Top Bottom