Carrying a Marine VHF radio while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I was curious, do people carry hand held marine VHF radios while boat diving as a safety device or is usually considered excessive?

I'd imagine it'd be incredibly useful should you get lost at sea or get too far from your boat and no one spots you.

I've never carried one or seen one carried. Are they even water resistant @ depth?

The signaling devices I usually have with me on a dive include a whistle, 2 CDs epoxied together (cheap but effective mirror), a safety sausage or SMB and a little AAA-powered strobe.

The VHF is line-of-sight, so the distance it is useful when you are in the water is very small. Even if it worked, you may have no reference to use other than I am floating in the water someplace. A good SMB, whistle and signal mirror are cheaper, more reliable, lighter and give the boat or search parties a visual reference.

It would be better to invest in an ELPB and an underwater case. I have decided to manufacture my own using a PVC tube, use a lath to turn an O ring groove. I will afix it to the side of my tank. It will carry an ELPB, mirror, flares, strobe, small light etc. It will be used when diving from my own boat, a commercial boat, nah, probably not.

N

I use a Mystic:

"Meet the Mystic: a full-featured DSC VHF marine radio and WAAS GPS navigation system all in one neat little package. It's perfect for any size boat, even personal watercraft. And with GPS accuracy down to 3 meters, you'll always know right where you are. Mark your favorite fishing holes or other notable locations on the map, and then use the navigation system to plot your course.

Or use the Mystic's built-in VHF radio, which has nearly all the features of a full-size deck unit, to send your coordinates to someone else. PRODUCT FEATURES: All USA, International and Canadian marine channels NOAA Emergency/Weather Alert with S.A.M.E. for localized weather, not forecasts from hundreds of miles away; Full 5 watts setting for maximum range when you need it and 1 watt lower power, maximizing battery life, when you don't. "

Yes, my boat has always had a FM/VHF Marine Radio on it and it very useful and I consider it a safety tool:wink:

Yes, my boat has always had a FM/VHF Marine Radio on it and it very useful and I consider it a safety tool:wink:

I think the OP meant do you carry one on your body while diving.

I carry one. It is in a pressure proof aluminum case that costs twice what the radio does. It is somewhat of a pain, and hopefully it is never used

Hey guys, I was curious, do people carry hand held marine VHF radios while boat diving as a safety device or is usually considered excessive?

I'd imagine it'd be incredibly useful should you get lost at sea or get too far from your boat and no one spots you.

This has already been answered, but it is worth repeating.... VHF is line of sight. If you are bobbing in the water, your line of sight is nil. The Coast Guard can pick up pretty weak signals, but there is a limit.

On a boat, with a long antenna, VHF does much better.... but again, it is still line of sight, but the long antenna lets it "see" farther.

When I sailed merchant ships and tugs, VHF comms (with much taller antennas and more power than a hand held set) were still basically considered "short range" comms.... if we could see something on the radar (also limited by line of sight), we could talk to it.... once it dropped behind the earths curvature, not so much...

I'd leave the VHS on the boat.

Best wishes.

This has already been answered, but it is worth repeating.... VHF is line of sight. If you are bobbing in the water, your line of sight is nil. The Coast Guard can pick up pretty weak signals, but there is a limit.

On a boat, with a long antenna, VHF does much better.... but again, it is still line of sight, but the long antenna lets it "see" farther.

When I sailed merchant ships and tugs, VHF comms (with much taller antennas and more power than a hand held set) were still basically considered "short range" comms.... if we could see something on the radar (also limited by line of sight), we could talk to it.... once it dropped behind the earths curvature, not so much...

I'd leave the VHS on the boat.

Best wishes.

Out of curiosity. How is LOS for aircraft when the source is at sea level? I'd imagine it's range to be larger and be power limited instead of being horizon limited, would this be correct?

Also, yeah, I forgot about ELPBs :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom