Carrying things while snorkelling - how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TacticalReviews

Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting more into snorkelling due to a shoulder injury. The injury means I can no longer swim front crawl without a lot of pain, so only do so if I have to. As I can't stay out of the water, I got fins and haven't looked back as now I can power through the water without using my hands.

Generally I'm swimming in warm waters so am only in trunks, not wetsuits. With the wide range the fins give me, I'm doing more 'things' and carry a camera, and other bits and pieces including gloves and boots which I might or might not need, and a goody bag.

I'm finding myself having too much with me and have started using a float to hang various bits of kit on and towing it. This doesn't seem very elegant.

My research so far hasn't located any snorkelling or diving 'load carriers' to provide a more elegant solution. I've considered using a weight belt as a utility belt, but don't know if this is worth trying or if there is a sling bag or something else I should look at.

Any ideas? What do you do?

SCUBA Divers Surface Float Package | Mako Spearguns

MSDSFP-2T.jpg

We offer this package which includes a very robust float, the optional dive flag mount and counter weight, a ratcheting (no- backlash) reel and also a hook/anchor.

The hard float is very easy to tow, but provides hand holds to rest on the surface and has ample locations to clip off small accessories (like a water bottle, camera, extra weight, flashlight, beach shoes, fish stringer, safety sausage, whistle) etc. Might be what you are looking for.

Years ago I bought a fanny pack drybag. It has a very low profile but it can carry carefully folded sarong and my keys and a bunch of other stuff. Actually has a deceiving capacity. It is sleek instead of bulky and doesn't interfere too much with movement through the water. I just let it hang from my waist but it might be even better to turn it around and let it lay on the small of the back. I tried to find a web image but wasn't successful though there are many to be had. Some of them were very bulky and not intended for swimmers near as I could tell.

I'd love to go for the hard float, but in this case I'm travelling and that would be too big. I've considered some inflatable floats/buoys which might still be the answer (even a miniature dingy) but it feels clumsy towing this.

So a weight belt with D-loops appears to be another option, but my worry with this is the apparent shrinking effect of the water on the belt's fit (so I've read as I've never used a weight belt) making it loose.

Maybe the answer is simply a draw-string mesh bag which I can sling across my body.

Any other ideas are welcome.

I'd love to go for the hard float, but in this case I'm travelling and that would be too big. I've considered some inflatable floats/buoys which might still be the answer (even a miniature dingy) but it feels clumsy towing this.

So a weight belt with D-loops appears to be another option, but my worry with this is the apparent shrinking effect of the water on the belt's fit (so I've read as I've never used a weight belt) making it loose.

Maybe the answer is simply a draw-string mesh bag which I can sling across my body.

Any other ideas are welcome.

We also have an inflatable float with an optional mesh carrying bag.. Also an elastic rubber weight belt is very nice. works for scuba and snorkeling and freediving.

Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float | MAKO Spearguns

inflatable-float-mesh-bag.jpg

inflatable-float-gun-straps.jpg

My wife uses a weight belt with D-rings for snorkeling. She has a boat clip to secure her camera to the d-ring. It works fine, remember you are laying on top of the water, so the belt won't fall down your legs. Also, it is the compression of a wet suit that makes the belt loose. If you are not diving or wearing a wetsuit, the belt does not loosen.

I would suggest looking at spearfishing floats as Mako has suggested. I use one a lot (for spearfishing) and they are not hard to tow at all, are very buoyant, and allow you to have a dive flag. I clip a line to the handle of my speargun but you could just as easily clip it to a belt. There are "line winders" available that will allow you to adjust the length of line to suit the circumstances (e.g. if doing deep free dives have more line out).

I will sometimes clip things off to my float e.g. Camera, mesh bag for scallops, a drink bottle (although make sure it seals and does not get salt water in it) etc.

I use one of these when snorkeling or diving, sometimes two: Thigh-Pocket

Attached to a weight belt (sans weights) it gives me a place for my Otterbox that holds my glasses and keys as well as for other things I may want to bring along.

Weight belt with large SS carabiners to hang camera, fins, and safety equipment when exiting water, which keeps my hands free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom