cars killing coral reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
I have learned that the best way to teach is by example. I try, not always successful, to be a role model my boys, their friends, and my students (scuba).

One person's activism is another person's leadership-by-example. BTW, I am not by any stretch of the imagination, an environmental activist. I do pickup trash when I see it (land or ocean), I do recycle (mandatory here) and I am considering the environmental as well as economic impact of my next auto purchase.

I do believe we have a moral obligation to leave 'our world' no worse off than we found it. Even better if possible.

You are right, at times I am not a realist. At times I am a fatalist. I think that the majority of the world share views similar to you and we are destined to reap what we sew.
Except for the recycle thing. I go the other way on that.
I recycle nothing. It cost more to recycle than to make from scatch. Both in materials and money.
Except for aluminum.

Like I said we're not that far apart. :)

fgray1:
YOUR own parents and grand parents for YOU.
I never said I don't and haven't sacificed for MY family.
I'm not willing to sacifice anything and I mean ANYTHING for what might or might not happen 10, 50 or 500 years from now.
You really need to read the thread before you make personal comments
Oh by the way what have you done this week to help out.
What have you sacificed for the world to be a better place.
The words Glass houses come to mind.
I give several computers away to families that can't afford them.
I've bought shoes for those that had none. I've given water to my neighbors that had no power to run their well pumps. I've paid for the tolls at the toll booths for the people behind me just Because. My list goes on and on. How about yours??????
There is a difference between charity and being environmently aware. As it happens this week we have also been clearing up after a rather large typhoon - you know the sort of thing - clearing away fallen trees, repairing windows/roofs, moping up after the floods etc. I also do a lot of free computer support work in the area for people who can't afford to call an engineer everytime their computer needs something. Being a school teacher there are many other small things that we do with the kids to help some of our rather aging people.
But what have I done for the environment? Lets see -
Used my small lead free petrol (550cc) car to get around (check back earlier in the thread - I already posted about that) instead of some massive gas consuming monster. Seperated all my rubbish into food leftovers/paper and combustables/aluminium cans/glass/other metals - talking about rubbish we also have to buy special rubbish bags in the first place that have a special tax on them - if you want to throw away something bigger like a refrigerator or television etc you have to also pay a disposal tax. Spent two hours last Sunday helping with the quarterly community clean up. My wife is the environment control officer for the town and is responsible for stopping illegal dumping and ensuring that the factories don't create hazardous emmissions or otherwise pollute the area. All in all - we do our bit!
As far as making a personal attack on you - I don't think so. You called yourself selfish with regard to your own declared attitude towards the environment - I was merely agreeing with you.

fgray1:
Yes I'm selfish. I'll leave the worrying to those who will come after me.
As for your family - I'm sure that you do lots for them - but as they will surely 'come after you' and you don't seem to care what problems they might inherit - I wonder if it's enough.

Well Kim
I like my truck. I like my brand new motorcycle, I like my boat with is 2 cycle 90 HP motor, I like my big house that just me and my wife live in. I like the fact that when I die my daughter will inherit all i've worked my butt off to get.
I live by the motto "HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"
I hope my daughter and even my grand kids have more than me.

The only problem they will inherit will be the ones that restrictive environmentalist will push on them.
Human life span is maybe 70 years
Earth life span WHO KNOWS. As well intentioned as you might be you've done nothing for the envionment that in the long run will make differance. But I guess you can say you tried.
I wish you the best in your fight and if you have the time do a little extra for me.
Think I'll hook my boat up to my truck and go fishing tomorrow before IVAN comes to pay us a visit.

Well -
As for what any long term effects might be it'll be down to our childrens children (or further) to know. I agree that the issues of the environment are still fairly uncertain as to causes etc. Who knows - in the end you might even be right - on the other hand, I might be. I suppose that I have more the attitude that if I am right I'd like future generations to look back towards me and know (as you pointed out) I tried. I admit that to have any major impact will take more than individuals to achieve - but you've got to start somewhere right? The only place that I know where to start is with me - and the people immediately around me - as Otter said, for me as well it's more a question of moral obligation - I don't feel that I have the choice that you obviously feel that you do. We'll just have to agree to disagree - history will declare the winners or losers - lets just hope it's not the cockroaches that finally inherit your toys!
As far as hurricanes and typhoons go they seem to be getting more frequent and worse. Some people think that this might also have something to do with the environment, some people think it's purely cyclical - the next 10 to 20 years will probably reveal the answer to that one. In Japan the average life span is 83 so I might be around to see the answer.
Meanwhile - I hope you and your family stay safe when Ivan hits. I hope that part of your toys are good storm shutters!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom