Carter SMB Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a question about maintenance/repair of the manual inflate valve of my Carter SMB.

After a dive, typically (about 80%) of the time, I flush it out with fresh water, manually inflate it and hang it up to dry, inflated. I found that any water or moisture condenses at the bottom and is easy to get rid of.

This weekend, I found that the manual inflate valve is starting to leak air out.

If you look in the valve, you can see corrosion beginning to form on some sort of valve stem.

Any thoughts on how to repair or replace this valve?

Carters website doesn't list any replacement parts or tools to remove the valve for maintenance.

Thank you in advance.

I've got a question about maintenance/repair of the manual inflate valve of my Carter SMB.

After a dive, typically (about 80%) of the time, I flush it out with fresh water, manually inflate it and hang it up to dry, inflated. I found that any water or moisture condenses at the bottom and is easy to get rid of.

This weekend, I found that the manual inflate valve is starting to leak air out.

If you look in the valve, you can see corrosion beginning to form on some sort of valve stem.

Any thoughts on how to repair or replace this valve?

Carters website doesn't list any replacement parts or tools to remove the valve for maintenance.

Thank you in advance.

I recently had the exact same problem, I rinsed the hell out of it under pressure from a spray nozzle and it's no longer leaking. May or may not work for you too but it's certainly worth a shot.

I recently had the exact same problem, I rinsed the hell out of it under pressure from a spray nozzle and it's no longer leaking. May or may not work for you too but it's certainly worth a shot.

Spray nozzle from a sink or garden hose?

I'll go try the garden hose since it is next to the SMB anyway.

I shot an e-mail to Carter. I'll post response if I get one.

Spray nozzle from a sink or garden hose?

I'll go try the garden hose since it is next to the SMB anyway.

I shot an e-mail to Carter. I'll post response if I get one.

Just did the garden hose...still leaks.

Hey all. Just found this page.I am a Carter professional with 8 years experiece at the factory. You guys have the cleaning right, but did you know you can pull out the insert of the oral valve with needlenose pliers? You can get a deeper clean that way. Use warm soapy water, grease the rubber a little, then grease the insert and shove it back in. I also sell these for $3.00 each through my own company TDL Underwater Liftbag Supply. I'm in Ocean Shores, Wa.I sell new and used bags,. and do maintenance on all Carter bags. Tim

Hey all. Just found this page.I am a Carter professional with 8 years experiece at the factory. You guys have the cleaning right, but did you know you can pull out the insert of the oral valve with needlenose pliers? You can get a deeper clean that way. Use warm soapy water, grease the rubber a little, then grease the insert and shove it back in. I also sell these for $3.00 each through my own company TDL Underwater Liftbag Supply. I'm in Ocean Shores, Wa.I sell new and used bags,. and do maintenance on all Carter bags. Tim

Cool. I will be calling you Monday for product and advise...

Back
Top Bottom