Casa Bugainvillea guest house in Bonaire - a short review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We spent two weeks at this guest house and wanted to give a short review. Casa Bougainvillea

This is a two bedroom/ two bath bungalow attached to the owners house. It is located on the hillside of Sabedeco Terrace. The property is lovely and very peaceful. The outdoor spaces are the best part of the property. There is a picknic table by the front, another by the back door along with a couple of chaise lounges and a hamock. There's a nice small deck above the unit with great views of Klein Bonaire and the mountains in the park. There's also a private palapa with a couple of chairs and a couch again with a great view. Lastly there is a semi private pool (the owners may use it as well though they didn't while we were there).

The inside of the unit is adequate but not at all plush. There's no inside dining table(only a coffee table). This is important since the biting bugs come after you as soon as you step outside. Be sure to bring bug spray.

There is A/C in both bedrooms and in the living area.

The cooking is via a small toaster oven, a microwave and a counter top camp propane stove. The stove could be difficult to cook on if you are a short person since the top is rather high. The flame is also tricky to control - it's really high or tends to blow out. That said, we managed. There's a very nice infrared propane grill as well.

Free wireless internet access is provided but the signal is not strong inside or in the immediate vicinity of the unit. The signal by the pool and palapa was good.

There's a couple of statements made on the website that need clarification. First, while there is a washing machine, it is not useable directly by the renters. Instead, you need to collect the items that you want to wash and when the laundry basket is full ask the host and they will run a load. Consequently we only did one load in the course of our two week stay. Perhaps we could have asked for more but it felt ackward to do so. Second, the pictures on the website in the pool area show several seating areas with cushioned sofas. Those areas are not for guest use. The only seating by the pool is the two chaise lounges. There's a single umbrella so only enough shade for two people.

The truck is in good condition and the rate is comparable to the car rental agencies when everything is considered. If you did rent your own truck there wouldn't be enough space to park it so stick to their truck.

One final thought - we tend to dive the southern sites more than the northern ones. We felt that even though this house was toward the north it wouldn't be an issue. After two weeks of driving to the southern sites (taking two tanks and doing the surface intervals and lunch at the dive site) it did start to become a drag. For us we would probably look for lodging closer to town or even further south.

Last edited:
I have booked the property for 10 days in September, and your review makes it easier and better for me to prepare. Thanks so much.
I have experienced the "distance" issue on previous trip [rented in the north and dove mainly the south] - part of my solution is to rent my tanks from Wannadive and spend few of my surface intervals on their lovely satellite property south of town. They offer beach chairs, water access, tanks and storage facility in a quiet fenced area.

Thanks that is a most helpful review for potential renters, especially pointing out the areas that are shown in pictures but not actually available to the renters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom