Cat Island, Bahamas- anyone been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverswifey

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone been diving in Cat Island, Bahamas? If so, would love some feedback. Land based trip- diver husband, non-diver wife, mornings diving and afternoons exploring on land, snorkeling, beaching, etc. Thanks.

Its been a long time, but if I remember correctly, the best diving is on the south and east sides of the island. Good ledge diving, a couple of wrecks, and a couple of blue holes in the north. Remember east of Cat Island is Africa, so a small breeze can churn up the water on the east side. The island is 40-50 miles long so you may have to sell a kidney to afford a cab ride, I am not sure about rental cars.

Resorts and dive operators come and go, so you may want to get some newer information. We went in by private plane, there were 2 airports, Arthur's Town and Old Bight. Transportation was kinda pricey at the time.

AFAIK, the big diving attraction to Cat Island is that at certain times of the year, they get Oceanic White Tips in the area. Those tend to be offshore in the "deep blue" areas but at shallow depth and require a boat to get to.

Thank you both. Actually, I am leaning more towards San Salvador now, after a little more research. I still want to get to Cat some day but think SS would be better for diving? Thanks for any info if you have been there.

I stayed at the Orange Creek Inn for a few days several years ago. Friendly people on the island, not a lot of stuff going on, if you're looking to get off the grid and away from it all Cat may have it. We found a local that had a car rental place. I didn't do any diving while I was there, so don't have any info on that front.

Been to San Salvador many times. Great diving. Walls, swim throughs and of course chance for hammerheads!

Been to San Salvador many times. Great diving. Walls, swim throughs and of course chance for hammerheads!
thank you so much for your reply! How do you think late May would be? Don't care so much for the hammerheads so would be happy to miss that part.

thank you so much for your reply! How do you think late May would be? Don't care so much for the hammerheads so would be happy to miss that part.
Never been in May, we usually go towards the end of the year - Bonaire in May :wink: I would think weather-wise it should be great! There was a pod of dolphins hanging around there. Hopefully they still are! We do Club Med. I've said it here before, but again, if you are a buddy diver you splash before the group divers and do your own thing. Big boats that can easily handle the crowds with 2 ladders. Finally their buffet is not like any other you have seen in an AI. This place caters to the French - direct flights in from France and Montreal.
Your choices are Club Med, Riding Rock or airbnb.

Never been in May, we usually go towards the end of the year - Bonaire in May :wink: I would think weather-wise it should be great! There was a pod of dolphins hanging around there. Hopefully they still are! We do Club Med. I've said it here before, but again, if you are a buddy diver you splash before the group divers and do your own thing. Big boats that can easily handle the crowds with 2 ladders. Finally their buffet is not like any other you have seen in an AI. This place caters to the French - direct flights in from France and Montreal.
Your choices are Club Med, Riding Rock or airbnb.
Club Med has been closed a while (during covid) and reportedly is not re-opening until fall of 2022 possibly..... we are looking at RR and are fine with and actually prefer simple, local places- we have been to quite a few of the out islands so know what to expect on land- just was getting more info about the diving for hubby (I am not a diver but plan our trips). Where you like to stay in Bonaire? thanks for replies!

I was at RR 33 years ago when it was the only game in town. Enjoyed every minute of it! I'd love to get back there some day.... I know it isn't the same....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom