Catalina diving in spring/summer 5mm or 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've sen temperatures here in the 70s down to 150 fsw on rare occasions. You just never know. Last year was somewhat toasty, this year could be quite different.

I am going to be doing a 3 day boat trip to Channel Islands in July. Flying out from Florida. They try for 2-3 dives a day and maybe a night dive as well.

I have Mares 7 mil Isotherm semi-dry, with matching 7 mil hood, 3 mil gloves and 3 mil boots. I roasted in it with the hood, gloves and boots when I dove 74 degree water here in Fla for half an hour. Was comfy in 70 degree water on a 2 hour snorkel with the hood but no gloves or boots. I am not a "cold" diver necessarily.

I do wonder if this will be enough for that boat trip, or should I bring the drysuit which is much more hassle?

We dive drysuits when we go to Catalina or San Diego, no matter what time of the year it is. So much nicer than a 7 ml.

Like Dr. Bill said, last year was quite warmer than usual. However, the temps at Catalina is very predictable. During the summer it easily gets into the low-60s, and to me in a 7mm suit, that's like tropical diving.

7mm semi-dry in a summer should be very good. I use 7mm year round, leaving 5mm hood and 3mm gloves topside in the summer and fall. Also, in the warmer months I find front zipper on my el cheapo suit very nice, as I just unzip it when buttom temps are in mid 60s. You'll be just fine.

I use 5mil and hooded vest but I tend to be warm...I will admit that is occasionally cool in winter. I don't dive extremely deep and usually Catalina or Laguna which run warmer than some other places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom