Cataract surg, lens type, satisfaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can no longer see with prescription lens in mask let alone on land. Long story short, getting cataract surgery.with upgrade lens replacement. Cha-ching!
If you have had surg please let me know when (year), what type of lens and satisfaction - at various depths and distance. I dive 30- 110 ft. Like the little stuff as much as the big:)

8 or 9 years ago I had the B&L Crystalens focusable IOL's put in, then had the astigmatism LASIKED away . It was the best money I ever spent and if I had known about it 10 years earlier I wouldn't have had to screw around with multiple pairs of bifocal glasses for many years. 30 days after each operation I was back in the water doing deep OC Trimix dives.
The only disadvantage is that you will be wearing sunglasses (preferably polarizing sunglasses) during daylight hours for at least a year. I learned to enjoy running around wearing RayBan Aviators which made me look a lot cooler. If you have access to a surgeon that has the additional B&L training required for the Crystalens, get the Crystalens, I don't think that there is anything better.
Rx glasses are a thing of the past, I can focus anywhere between 8 or 9" and infinity and as I get older my ability to focus close up will not diminish.

Michael

I had Alcon Restore multi-focal lenses installed in both eyes about four years ago with great success with optical correction, eliminating the need for near and far bifocal glasses. Yes, they are more expensive than the standard lenses, but not having to wear glasses, or not having one eye set up for far vision and the other for near vision, was worth every dollar. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Also, having worn Ray Ban Aviators since the mid-60s, I'll tell you they are top notch sunglasses, but they won't do much if you aren't already cool--but then, you are a scuba diver, so that makes you cool, with or without Ray Ban Aviators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom