Catching me flatfooted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corrected from my totally wrong ID!!
It looks to be a Spotted Turbot (Pleuronichthys ritteri)
has 1-2 black spots on middle of lateral line.
Similar to a CO Sole (P. coenosus)

Hey Robb, thanks for the help -- sounds like that could be it. Humann only has one turbot species (hornyhead), which didn't look to be it, but now that I check out Gotshall and the Peterson guide, either of the turbots you mentioned sound within the realm of the possible to me. Based on a quick scan of the pictures in Humann, C-O sole had seemed to be about the closest.

Frank O:
Hey Robb, thanks for the help -- sounds like that could be it. Humann only has one turbot species (hornyhead), which didn't look to be it, but now that I check out Gotshall and the Peterson guide, either of the turbots you mentioned sound within the realm of the possible to me. Based on a quick scan of the pictures in Humann, C-O sole had seemed to be about the closest.

It's not the C-O though as they have the distinct C-O on the caudal fin. If you look at the first pic you can definitely see the two black dots on the lateral line. There is a possibility it is a Rock Sole, but I really don't think so.

Hmmm... why does it make me think of dinner (and I haven't hunted with anything other than a camera in ages)?

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom