Cave 1 single tank restriction scares me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, the "buddy" who backed away when I asked for an octo after my air stopped per above was.....a divemaster.

I hope you don't dive with this buddy anymore. In fact, share his/her name in your community, so no one should dive with him/her.

bad mouthing people behind there back is a sure fire way to alienate yourself from your local dive community.

Agreed, there's enough drama in dive communities already. Try addressing it with him. Do another dive with him, and maybe catch him off guard. If he does it again, ask him why he backed off. Let him know you were trying to practice a skill/some skills like all good divers should.

Having said that, I agree that a single tank to 1/3 is WAY more dangerous than two tanks to 1/6. I think one reason for the expiration, is that a lot of divers will get complacent. I can see this happening: "Well, I have 20 safe logged Intro dives to sixths on doubles....so maybe I should push a few hundred more PSI. Apprentice is like the same thing, but more penetration....why should I waste my money? I know what I'm doing! All I have to do is turn at thirds!!" Then, suddenly, the person is diving to thirds, getting bored, and then doing jumps and T's. In some caves, you can easily hit a T before you hit thirds. It's easy to justify. I don't know if I agree with the expiration, but I totally understand it. Although it may stifle a diver's opportunity to grow, it DEFINITELY tries limiting people from getting complacent and pushing beyond training limits. There's no scuba police, but the agencies have to try to enforce what they think is best.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom