Cave 1 single tank restriction scares me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is she a fully qualified cave diver? Or does she hold an introductory certification? Introductory...

You're not answering my question. She's diving fully within compliance of the limits of her certification. Do you have some specific beef with that?

Yes. I have a problem with people cave diving with single tanks for all the reasons I've previously stated. The reserve volume is almost ALWAYS far lower than a diver diving 1/6 of doubles, and a new cave diver does not have the experience to draw upon to handle situations with such a low amount of reserve gas.

If you want to dive thirds as a grown up cave diver who is fully qualified, go nuts. But a new cave diver shouldn't be pushing it like that, and especially not on a single tank.

Clear?

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 05:36 PM ----------

And plus, why are YOU diving thirds on doubles with her? You need to be diving at the least qualified diver's level, which is 1/6th of doubles as she is an intro diver, and do the appropriate gas matching pre-dive.

Yes. I have a problem with people cave diving with single tanks for all the reasons I've previously stated. The reserve volume is almost ALWAYS far lower than a diver diving 1/6 of doubles, and a new cave diver does not have the experience to draw upon to handle situations with such a low amount of reserve gas.

If you want to dive thirds as a grown up cave diver who is fully qualified, go nuts. But a new cave diver shouldn't be pushing it like that, and especially not on a single tank.

Clear?

Fair 'nuff, and your opinion is noted. I remain unconvinced that the sky is quite so close to falling, so we'll have to part agreeing to disagree. Also clear?

In 200 dives you have had all of this? Perhaps it would be good to look at getting better equipment and/or better maintenance habits. All of these issues are very rare for most divers.

That's pretty funny. Let's look at some of the failures I mentioned:

Violent first stage freeflow- regulator had just been serviced by an authorized dealer.

Dip tube clogged- tank was provided by an instructor for a class.

Regulator failed closed- regulator provided by an instructor. Regulator was combloc manufacture. Instructor grabbed it, hid it away and refused to discuss the incident.

These days I do my own visual inspections of my tanks sometime after I get a "shop" inspection just to make sure no one left a shop rag in there. I do as much of my other maintenance as I can get parts for.

But you know what? Three decades of preparing racing equipment has me convinced that no matter how well prepared and how careful the work sometimes stuff just breaks... and sometimes that kills people.

Oh yeah, the "buddy" who backed away when I asked for an octo after my air stopped per above was.....a divemaster.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Violent first stage freeflow- regulator had just been serviced by an authorized dealer.

Regulator failed closed- regulator provided by an instructor. Regulator was combloc manufacture. Instructor grabbed it, hid it away and refused to discuss the incident.

These days I do my own visual inspections of my tanks sometime after I get a "shop" inspection just to make sure no one left a shop rag in there. I do as much of my other maintenance as I can get parts for.

But you know what? Three decades of preparing racing equipment has me convinced that no matter how well prepared and how careful the work sometimes stuff just breaks... and sometimes that kills people.

Oh yeah, the "buddy" who backed away when I asked for an octo after my air stopped per above was.....a divemaster.

that's pretty unlucky. I had a free flow once on an ice dive that was fixed by turning the valve off for a minute, then back on and it was fine.

that's pretty unlucky. I had a free flow once on an ice dive that was fixed by turning the valve off for a minute, then back on and it was fine.

The reason I switched to sidemount was so I can reach my valves without pulling my rig over my head.

I was wearing a non-crushed neoprene dry suit and could barely reach my ears...:)

I just breathed it out and then turned on the pony reg. All the bubbles (combined with black water) made it impossible to read gauges though and I found the surface sooner than expected:wink:
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The reason I switched to sidemount was so I can reach my valves without pulling my rig over my head.

I was wearing a non-crushed neoprene dry suit and could barely reach my ears...:)

Any reason you choose to switch to SM instead of getting a drysuit that fit?

Any reason you choose to switch to SM instead of getting a drysuit that fit?

Easier to carry around 40 lbs at a time instead of 80 lbs. (But that's not what I tell the gals.)

And even if I am naked I make a poor yoga instructor and have to thrash around and make squeeling noises to reach a valve.

Sounds like you need a new instructor/buddy/dealer

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom