Cave and Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty simple... diving without lights in a cavern will stop most people from entering the cave. Without the ability to see further most folks will turn around and continue diving where they can see. Using lights in a cavern makes it easy to continue into the cave and get lost.

A historically significant wreck worth diving on is one that tells an epic story.
Battle of Sunda Strait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 'Nightmare' Night USS Houston Went Down - USNI News
Captain Albert Rooks USS Houston
Captain Hector Waller HMAS Perth

The allure and fun of wreck diving is not just merely researching the history for academic sake, but actually diving down yourself and vicariously reliving the history as you would imagine how it might've actually happened. . . the most meaningful and sobering are the WWII Wrecks sunk-in-action, Allied or Imperial Japanese, and seeing evidence of the suffering, sacrifice, and incredible damage inflicted on both Ship & Crew.

The most meaningful and sobering wreck I've ever dived on was the Salem Express ... a ferry that went down off the port of Safaga (Egypt) in 1991. It's one thing to die in battle, but quite another when it happens on a peaceful voyage, killing hundreds of innocents. It's a sobering swim through the cargo holds, where luggage, children's toys, and all the other remains of people expecting an uneventful trip home still remain.

IMG_4554.jpg
IMG_4577.jpg
IMG_4605.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The most meaningful and sobering wreck I've ever dived on was the Salem Express ... a ferry that went down off the port of Safaga (Egypt) in 1991. It's one thing to die in battle, but quite another when it happens on a peaceful voyage, killing hundreds of innocents. It's a sobering swim through the cargo holds, where luggage, children's toys, and all the other remains of people expecting an uneventful trip home still remain.
It's illegal to enter the Salem and it always has been. It's a grave. Lot's of people never made it out of the wreck and their remains are still inside the wreck.
Please respect the local rules and the people who died there and DO NOT enter the wreck.
I used work in Safaga for a year and I always hated when I had to go to the Salem.

It's illegal to enter the Salem and it always has been. It's a grave. Lot's of people never made it out of the wreck and their remains are still inside the wreck.
Please respect the local rules and the people who died there and DO NOT enter the wreck.
I used work in Safaga for a year and I always hated when I had to go to the Salem.

That's not true ... it's illegal to enter the parts of the wreck where they were unable to remove the bodies. Those parts have been sealed up. Not sure when you were there, but your statement isn't factually correct. The parts of the wreck I photographed are perfectly legal to enter.

Salem Express, shocking wreck diving in Red Sea.

http://www.leisurepro.com/blog/scub...gypts-controversial-wreck-dive-salem-express/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Who told you this? Ther're no sources given in the articles you linked. It's a grave according to the coast guard, that's what we were told when I lived there in 04/05. None of the shops in the area would have allowed you to enter the wreck, only some liveaboards used to let people enter. Maybe things have changed in recent years due to the situation in Egypt.

Who told you this? Ther're no sources given in the articles you linked. It's a grave according to the coast guard, that's what we were told when I lived there in 04/05. None of the shops in the area would have allowed you to enter the wreck, only some liveaboards used to let people enter. Maybe things have changed in recent years due to the situation in Egypt.

Dude, before you get on a public forum and accuse people of breaking the law, do some damn research.

I have found you to be consistently rude, offensive, and factually inaccurate ... this time's no exception.

Either get your facts straight or STFU ... because I don't appreciate the implication.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Comment

The very act of diving this particular wreck does attract controversy. There are those who refuse to visit this vessel altogether and some who even object to others who wish to see it for themselves. Clearly they feel the Salem Express should be placed out of bounds altogether and every opinion is as valid as the next. It is not for me to say who is right or wrong.

As a professional underwater photo-journalist, I would not wish to glorify this particular shipwreck in any way. That said, it is my job to report on the wreck and the fact that the diving community is permitted to dive this vessel without precondition.

Personally, I find it most curious that many of those divers who insist on "not" diving the Salem Express - and who feel that their views should be observed by other divers, are very happy to move on and Dive wrecks such as the Carnatic where 31 people died or the Thistlegorm where the death toll was nine! Surely our respect for those who died should be consistent whatever the size of the tragedy...

Read more: http://www.touregypt.net/vdc/Salemexp.htm#ixzz49c5cPKTT

Im more inclined to believe what the locals say instead of what it says in an article that doesn't give any sources.

Knowing nothing about the Salem Express before this controversy started, I decided to take a look at what I could find on the web. The following sites all talk about diving the wreck, and even penetrating. There are many pictures of the interior on these sites. I did not include the YouTube sites with their videos, and I did not include the sites selling photos. Most of the sites say that diving the wreck and especially penetrating the wreck is controversial, and it should be done with proper respect. None of them say it is illegal to enter the wreck.

In contrast, this one site does say it is illegal to penetrate the wreck.

John, I found a few more articles in German that say it's a grave and you're not allowed to enter but they don't give any sources either. I go by what I was told when I lived there. Why would people have lied about it being closed?

Personally, I find it most curious that many of those divers who insist on "not" diving the Salem Express - and who feel that their views should be observed by other divers, are very happy to move on and Dive wrecks such as the Carnatic where 31 people died or the Thistlegorm where the death toll was nine! Surely our respect for those who died should be consistent whatever the size of the tragedy...
The Thistlegorn went down 80 years ago with 9 people. The Salem is a 'fresh' grave and went down 20 year ago with 500-1000 people, if not more. To me, that's quite a difference. If it really isn't forbidden to enter the wreck, it should be.

Back
Top Bottom