Cave / Cavern Instructor & Guide in Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tylerm

Reaction score
I am going to be headed down near Tulum in late November with my ol' lady for about 4 or 5 days. I was down there about 6 weeks ago and dove Chac Mool and loved it, it was my first cave & cavern dive. I am planning on going down to Ginnie Springs in mid-Dec. to get my cavern and intro to cave certs, but while I am back in the Yucatan I would love to get in some more cavern dives. Can anyone recommend either a dive shop or a freelance instructor to dive with for a day or two?

Thanks!
Tyler

My vote goes immediately to Dennis (www.diablodivers.com) for cenote dives. We dove with him earlier this year as a cenote guide, and he is the best dive operator that we ever dove with. We can't wait to dive with him again.

-Don

I give a very high recommmendation to Bil Phillips of Speleotech.

He is one of the most professional, patient, knowledgeable, instructor that I know of.
As he has mapped quite a few caves down there, his experience is unparalled.
He is not only a guide, but he will make your whole day of diving very enjoyable.

Give him a message at www.speleotech.com.

Trust me, you will not be disapointed.

PM me if you need more info.

tylerm:
Can anyone recommend either a dive shop or a freelance instructor to dive with for a day or two?

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

I'll second Don's vote for Dennis Weeks at Diablo Divers. Dennis is a great guy and runs a top notch operation based primarily on Cavern Tours.

If you are interested in some instruction while you are down there, I would contact Protec in Playa del Carmen. They provide excellent instruction and equipment.

For more information, you can read my Cavern Training Report or my Cave Training Report from my last two trips down there.

I was scheduled to go back down there next week, but Wilma forced my group to cancel our trip. What a Bummer!!! :11:

If you're just looking for a guide, and not instruction.....I would recommend Gonzalo Vaccaluzo at AquaTech. Great guide, excellent attention to detail, and very patient. This man is NOT in a hurry and you will see so much more than you would trying to keep up with most of the guides.

You can find him at www.cenotes.com

There are lots of good and average cave instructor and guides down there. But Bil Philips is the way to go. He is the guy that laid most of the lines and surveyed the caves that all the other guides follow. He will have the coolest and scariest stories for you. Also he is unforgiving in his attention to detail and safety.

You can't go wrong with him.

boydski:
Hi Tyler,

I'll second Don's vote for Dennis Weeks at Diablo Divers. Dennis is a great guy and runs a top notch operation based primarily on Cavern Tours.

If you are interested in some instruction while you are down there, I would contact Protec in Playa del Carmen. They provide excellent instruction and equipment.

For more information, you can read my Cavern Training Report or my Cave Training Report from my last two trips down there.

I was scheduled to go back down there next week, but Wilma forced my group to cancel our trip. What a Bummer!!! :11:

Got back from Playa del Carmen last week, I dove 2 days with Dennis of Diablo Divers, and he was great. Did a couple of reef dives, and then 2 days later did a couple of dives at Dos Ojos. It was a blast, and he was very imformative and helpful, and I will be sure to dive with Diablo Divers next time I am down there (which will hopefully be soon!)

Tyler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom