Prep for Cavern/Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might wanna read my post again. I am recommending initially getting in the water and doing nothing until theyve accomplished hanging motionless. Most people going into cavern still can’t. Then once mastered, start doing stuff. We’re saying the same thing other than I’m, making the assumption that most people going into cavern don’t truly have hovering down perfectly. That’s based on what ai have observed in fl and mx
That message is due to someone else saying to go into a cavern and navigate out blind

That message is due to someone else saying to go into a cavern and navigate out blind
I wasnt referencing the mod post, I was referencing AJs post

Might wanna read my post again. I am recommending initially getting in the water and doing nothing until theyve accomplished hanging motionless. Most people going into cavern still can’t. Then once mastered, start doing stuff. We’re saying the same thing other than I’m, making the assumption that most people going into cavern don’t truly have hovering down perfectly. That’s based on what ai have observed in fl and mx
Yes, we do totally agree. However, if someone is not able to hold position, he or she should not even consider cave diving at all in my opinion. It's a waste of time and money because a good instructor won't let them pass anyway.

Idk of any instructor that would allow a cave student to bring a camera. If they do, they are suspect as an instructor.

I agree cameras are a terrible idea, that said I personally witnessed one of Edd’s students with a camera and I don’t think he’s going to be considered suspect by anyone.

Get in the water and do nothing. Literally. Master your buoyancy control. You should be able to pick a rock or other object and hover motionless over it for minutes on end. Video yourself to make sure you’re not finning to stay steady. Do that until it’s mastered then start doing it while manipulating objects in your hands.
Do not try to teach yourself cave skills. Best thing you can do for your instructor is to have peak buoyancy, no learned bad habits from teaching yourself and an open mind to learn
I'd add one more thing... get yourself streamlined AF. No dangly bits or wobbles. Ginnie can be high flow, so the less streamlined you are the harder it will be until you learn some of the nuances of dealing with it.

Practice buoyancy control with the gear you're going to do the course in - if you're doing it dry, then get dialed-in dry.

Make sure you understand your instructors policies on gloves / no gloves as well. Again, practice clipping, unclipping, stowing things how ever you are going to be doing the class. Nothing like showing up for class expecting to use gloves and then being told you can't or can only use fingerless gloves. Frankly I'd start getting your fingers prepped by embedding broken glass in small block of 2x4 and then running your fingers over it several times a day until you have calluses built up :wink:

AJ:
Yes, we do totally agree. However, if someone is not able to hold position, he or she should not even consider cave diving at all in my opinion. It's a waste of time and money because a good instructor won't let them pass anyway.
Now we really agree 120%. Unfortunately that is not really the norm here. There are alot of people who "fix" their buoyancy issues in class, and alot of instructors will pass them because they will "eventually learn as they progress." Theres alot of that in Fl. Including people not having frog kicks down but passing because they'll "eventually learn".

Reactions: AJ
I agree cameras are a terrible idea, that said I personally witnessed one of Edd’s students with a camera and I don’t think he’s going to be considered suspect by anyone.
Not disparaging Edd, but not everyone 100% agrees with everything Edd does or teaches. Nobody's perfect

Frankly I'd start getting your fingers prepped by embedding broken glass in small block of 2x4 and then running your fingers over it several times a day until you have calluses built up :wink:
Yeah. Bring some bandaids and nexcare tape and liquid bandage. And don't eat any hot wings while training.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom