Cave/cavern safety question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am taking the Cavern class this weekend. How does one safely deal with the subject with one's spouse when said spouse is ademently opposed to cave diving.

BTW-Said spouse is willing to dive the Devil's Throat in Cozumel (parts are more than 130 feet to the surface if you consider making your exit from the cavern) and penetrated the ship in Cozumel and was not bothered by the overhead environment without using cavern or cave procedures.

I live in Mo. It is hard to not be interested in caves and caverns.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

DivingCRNA:
I am taking the Cavern class this weekend. How does one safely deal with the subject with one's spouse when said spouse is ademently opposed to cave diving.

BTW-Said spouse is willing to dive the Devil's Throat in Cozumel (parts are more than 130 feet to the surface if you consider making your exit from the cavern) and penetrated the ship in Cozumel and was not bothered by the overhead environment without using cavern or cave procedures.

IHMO, there is only one way. Factual firsthand information. I'd recommend taking them along and doing the cavern class together. Even if they never want to go back (or even complete the class), they will learn a lot and will see what it is that interests you.

It may not change thier mind about cave diving (nor should it necessarly). They will though have an understanding about risks and management methods and of your interests.

Why is the spouse opposed to cave diving?

If it is an irrational "fear of caves" kind of thing I doubt you have much chance.

If it is because spouse has heard about the cave divers who have died while diving caves, you might let them read Sheck Exley's "Blueprint for Survival" cave diving manual. It is a short read that details everything that can go wrong and how the well-trained and prudent cave diver can dive safely by using the proper techniques and gear.

Also point out that cave diving tragedies make great sensational news stories and get much more attention than they deserve. I feel much safer diving caves than I do riding a bicycle on the county/country roads with the motorists crowding the roadways, but a bicyclist who gets hit by or run off the road by a vehicle barely makes the news.

Good luck,

theskull

It is a basic, irrational fear taht I will die in a cave.

Heck, I could die driving to work tomorrow, too.

I am reading "Blueprint" right now. I am not sure if she will even read it.

DivingCRNA:

Dive only in those environments where you both feel comfortable; the dive won't be enjoyable and safe otherwise. They might go along with you, but would more than likely be more of a risk/liability than you might want, so resist the temptation to do so. I'd find a good trusted diver in your Cavern class and see if you can work a partner that way. Your spouse could always take the class, and spot, or wait for you guys just outside the cavern entrance. That way, they could still be a part of the dive ... just make sure they have a buddy waiting also.

So your spouse was OK with penetrating a wreck without training in overhead environments and has a problem with your doing cavern/cave? Doesn't sound very logical to me. She/he probably never appreciated the hazard they placed themselves in.

Use this analogy: would he/she consider letting you fly a plane without proper training? But does he/she give a second thought to getting on a commercial airliner and trusting life and limb to someone they've never met?

It's a matter of training and attitude. Crossing the street is far more hazardous than cave diving if you don't pay attention.

Midnight Star:
Dive only in those environments where you both feel comfortable; the dive won't be enjoyable and safe otherwise. They might go along with you, but would more than likely be more of a risk/liability than you might want, so resist the temptation to do so. I'd find a good trusted diver in your Cavern class and see if you can work a partner that way. Your spouse could always take the class, and spot, or wait for you guys just outside the cavern entrance. That way, they could still be a part of the dive ... just make sure they have a buddy waiting also.

I may have been unclear. I am taking the cavern course. she has no interest in diving outside the warm, clear, open ocean. She had no interest in the cavern class of any other fresh water diving in the midwest.

Sorry for misleading you.

My approach was to explain to my wife all of the dangers that my new interest entailed, and then go into very great detail about the ways that the dangers are mitigated by training, skills learned through that training, and how much emphasis I put on practicing those skills.

I also let her know just how much I really love this kind of diving, by telling her about some of the things I get to see, the satisfaction I get from seeing my skills improve, and the camraderie I share with my cave diving buddies.

Thanks DC - I probably just mis-understood. :)

I was thinking that "adamently against", meant they weren't comfortable with a complete cavern or deep penetrating dive, and wanted to be a diving buddy, in that instance, anyways. I remember seeing someone "freak" in low (really no) vis, and shoot to the surface ... I was afraid they might have those types of tendancies when away from the cavern/wreck opening and into the dive, and wanted everyone to be safe and good with each others expectations.

I remember diving the cavern (not cave) at Morrison's ... it was fantastic. I'm definately going to do it again, with different "techniques" to try!

Once you do get the OK, you also have a tacit OK to buy the best gear available for the specialty. "It's just to make it all safer, honey." :)

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom