Cave Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
Thanks, Jim. So you're basically using wreck reel procedures in a cave. That makes sense. My point is that in N. Florida, and I'm pretty sure in Mexico too, feel is important. At least that's what was drilled into us during our training. In a silt out situation, the only way to know you're on the gold line is by feeling it. And it definitely feels different than a jump line does to bare fingers.

No, I am not talking about wreck procedures. I am talking about cave systems which don't have a 'standard' line system in them. They are all over the place. There is a cave up here with 10 kilometers of line in it. That line is everything from 18# exploration line to 3/4 inch twisted poly. The type of line you are on tells you nothing about where you are in the cave, where your exit it or how far you are. It has no navigational significance. Its like swimming over someone else's non-directional marker. It might serve as a secondary reference to give you a warm-fuzzy.

I know whats drilled into us in cave training. Its a good foundation, and it works for the places they teach caves. Stuff like no helmets or gloves however is pure hogwash for most the planet. Even when some of our caves go up into the 80f temp, you still need gloves because of the razor-sharp rocks.

*looks around for the DIR police and runs for cover*

Great video, enjoyed it a lot. Interesting selection of music.

I have the video downloaded. Now, I just need to find some free software to convert it to .mp4 format that I can play using my PS3 on my HDTV set...

JimC:
No, I am not talking about wreck procedures. I am talking about cave systems which don't have a 'standard' line system in them. They are all over the place. There is a cave up here with 10 kilometers of line in it. That line is everything from 18# exploration line to 3/4 inch twisted poly. The type of line you are on tells you nothing about where you are in the cave, where your exit it or how far you are. It has no navigational significance. Its like swimming over someone else's non-directional marker. It might serve as a secondary reference to give you a warm-fuzzy.

I know whats drilled into us in cave training. Its a good foundation, and it works for the places they teach caves. Stuff like no helmets or gloves however is pure hogwash for most the planet. Even when some of our caves go up into the 80f temp, you still need gloves because of the razor-sharp rocks.

*looks around for the DIR police and runs for cover*

Interesting. Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the information. Maybe I'll start another thread about the procedures used in non-Florida caves.

BTW, you can't hide from the DIR police...they'll find you no matter where you go... :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom