Cave Diving in Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sweet! Thanks Marc!! Are there any gov't imposed restrictions in place? Licensing requirements, permits, etc? I know some areas require you to have some sort of government license in order to cave dive...

sweet! Thanks Marc!! Are there any gov't imposed restrictions in place? Licensing requirements, permits, etc? I know some areas require you to have some sort of government license in order to cave dive...

I don't know if there are any cave specific permits required but in Quebec you are required to have a FQAS accreditation......FQAS Bienvenue

I'm not sure how rigidly it's being enforced yet, they've been up to the quarry in Wakefield (but in more of an "education" mode rather than enforcement)

Some FQAS representatives have been seen at the most frequented dive sites, mostly in education mode, and I think it'll stay that way for a long time. Legally, as best as I can read it from their website, the FQAS inspectors can't issue you a ticket, they're mandated by the government to supervise instruction and deliver the permit to attest that a diver has the minimal level of training required to dive here and thus make it legal to dive. It's the provincial government who's responsible for enforcing the law (that would probably mean the SQ or the municipal police has to fine you). As for cave diving you'd normally be required to have one of the accepted cave certifications (GUE, NACD, IANTD, TDI, ...) on top of the class B or C FQAS card. The same holds true for nitrox, trimix, etc....

In any case, Lac des 31 miles doesn't fall into that "very frequented" category ; )

Also, dive shops don't require the card for rentals, but most charters will ask to see the card and some sites will also ask for the card before they give you access. But for that lake you'll mostly likely be using the public boat ramp, so nobody is likely to ask you about that. That doesn't make it legal though....

More info about that lake...

Neptune: diving in Quebec, Lake of 31 Miles

31 Mile Lake

There's also supposed to be some caves somewhere in the Ottawa river, but all the people who commented about them, said they were nothing like the Florida/Mexico caves and lot more trickier to dive safely (but I don't really know much about cave diving so....).

snip
There's also supposed to be some caves somewhere in the Ottawa river, but all the people who commented about them, said they were nothing like the Florida/Mexico caves and lot more trickier to dive safely (but I don't really know much about cave diving so....).

The caves in the Ottawa R. are acessed either from private property, and there are very few who will give you permission unless they know you, or by boat if you know the entrances. Like all Canadian caves, they're primarily solo sidemount caves- very tight and silty (10' of visibility is unheard of) and the line is old, inconsistent and broken in many places. They're not like the florida caves at all since they're formed from river water running in from one side and out the other so the water is very tannic and dark. This is not a place for tourist cavers who typically follow the gold line in Florida and nothing more.

The caves in the Ottawa R. are acessed either from private property, and there are very few who will give you permission unless they know you, or by boat if you know the entrances. Like all Canadian caves, they're primarily solo sidemount caves- very tight and silty (10' of visibility is unheard of) and the line is old, inconsistent and broken in many places. They're not like the florida caves at all since they're formed from river water running in from one side and out the other so the water is very tannic and dark. This is not a place for tourist cavers who typically follow the gold line in Florida and nothing more.

Thanks for the additional info. You expressed the "don't go there unless you really really know what you're doing" aspect much better than me.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.. Perhaps I'll check them out when i get to Canada IF I can find someone with local knowledge of the places (fortunately I am not one of those tourist cavers who only follows the gold line)

There are caves and sumps in Tobermory. However, as I understand, these caves are highly advanced for sidemount or nomount only. Most tobermory divers don't know about these caves/sumps. The ones who do know don't publicize their locations. Your best bet would be to go to Ontariodiving.com some members there will have more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom