Cave diving video. Devil's cave system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know how to get them to me. Just send me some "raw" files this time. Or at least uncompressed 5-10 minute footage on DVD so we can make the most of them.

I ran some of your stuff through my editor with 32-bit processing and Magic Bullet Film Looks. It looks AMAZING. I can't imagine what's going to happen when you get me some raw files to work on.

I appreciate you supporting this effort too. You've been a HUGE help!

-P

Welcome. Can you read Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) files? That's the closest to Raw I think I can give you and it's about 275G for the RAW for the current movies (with the editing it's obviously less, but Final Cut does not touch the original media)

Final cut essentially exports anything Quicktime (but will be compressed somewhat I think)

If you really want "RAW" then the best-sounding export options I have are:

"Quicktime/None"
"Quicktime/Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2"
"Quicktime/Uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2"
"Quicktime/Photo Jpeg"
"Quicktime/AIC" (Essentially photo JPEG I think)

Which do you want? (These will be HUGE files -- maybe like buy a USB hard drive and ship it to you big)

These vids are better than the last ones -- more diver footage and far more stability.

Thanks everybody!

With pleasure! But I shot that time in SD only (It's my first HD camera and I still have no HD compatible editing soft, I am using Vegas 6). But it looks nice in SD also :)
Contact me: anya.kozlova()gmail.com - we discuss all details.

I realized my dream - to snorkel with Manatee :) First time for me. We had to do it in drysuits and heavy cave fins :)

Just for reference I *think* on the FX7, you can record in HD but export to the camera in SD. That way if you want to return to the footage later to edit in HD, you still have the HD. I know it works this way on my FX1 and think the FX7 is same.

This is when Cineform would come in handy. I have the same issue with Paco's videos. He sent me stuff encoded with AIC and unfortunately, Apple locks it to their OS only. I can't read them.

Since we can't do RAW, export to MJpeg with the quality slider at about 95%. That should be clean enough. Minimal compression, and no interframe compression. Also, just send me the edited footage. I don't want to re-interpret your video. So edit down to something you like, then export it. I can read Sony 10 bit, but I don't know if I can ingest Apple 10 bit.

I can make some FTP space for you to do that way if you have a high speed connection at home. You can upload overnight.

Welcome. Can you read Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) files? That's the closest to Raw I think I can give you and it's about 275G for the RAW for the current movies (with the editing it's obviously less, but Final Cut does not touch the original media)

Final cut essentially exports anything Quicktime (but will be compressed somewhat I think)

If you really want "RAW" then the best-sounding export options I have are:

"Quicktime/None"
"Quicktime/Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2"
"Quicktime/Uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2"
"Quicktime/Photo Jpeg"
"Quicktime/AIC" (Essentially photo JPEG I think)

Which do you want? (These will be HUGE files -- maybe like buy a USB hard drive and ship it to you big)

These vids are better than the last ones -- more diver footage and far more stability.

This is when Cineform would come in handy. I have the same issue with Paco's videos. He sent me stuff encoded with AIC and unfortunately, Apple locks it to their OS only. I can't read them.

Since we can't do RAW, export to MJpeg with the quality slider at about 95%. That should be clean enough. Minimal compression, and no interframe compression. Also, just send me the edited footage. I don't want to re-interpret your video. So edit down to something you like, then export it. I can read Sony 10 bit, but I don't know if I can ingest Apple 10 bit.

I can make some FTP space for you to do that way if you have a high speed connection at home. You can upload overnight.

AIC is (in theory) 99% MJpeg already I think.

If I export MJPEG from Final Cut, it will still have a Quicktime wrapper -- is that OK ?
MJpeg is about 30G/hour, so should be 30-50G for the entire trip I think.

I *may* be able to convert the Quicktime headers to mp4 (either using quicktime re-export or FFMpeg/X) but I dont really trust either tool to 100% work.

Re-exporting as passthrough in Quicktime seems to work sort of, but not always.
FFMpeg/X I don't trust that much (but it is what I used to make the files I sent you before)

I tried to export Quicktime/No compression but when it hit 50G for a 7 min movie, the disk was full ...

Let me know if the quicktime wrappers wont work.

Quicktime wrappers are just fine. I use them myself. I just can't read AIC because Apple won't make the codec for PC. Just like ProRes. DVCProHD would be terrific, but I don't know if you have that option. Plus, we are talking about HDV here, not 2k files coming off a Da Vinci. I'm sure mjpeg will be imperceptible in the final when we go to Stage6.

I'll bring it in 32bit so that I can color without losing anything (much) and then export. Should look stunning when we're done.

Quicktime wrappers are just fine. I use them myself. I just can't read AIC because Apple won't make the codec for PC. Just like ProRes. DVCProHD would be terrific, but I don't know if you have that option. Plus, we are talking about HDV here, not 2k files coming off a Da Vinci. I'm sure mjpeg will be imperceptible in the final when we go to Stage6.

I'll bring it in 32bit so that I can color without losing anything (much) and then export. Should look stunning when we're done.

Quicktime/MJPEG it is.
I think I only get DVCProHD if I buy Final Cut Express for bargain-basement $1200 (although once the last movie is done exporting for the web, I will check to see if DVCProHD is an option for me). I am 99% sure ProRes (the new Apple codec, right?) is out unless I have Final Cut Pro

EDIT:
I only have DVCPro50 not HD
I am exporting as PhotoJPEG and we will do a test to make sure it's good before I do the whole lot.

DVCPro50 is cleaner (by a good margin) than HDV. But if we can roll mjpeg, that's the answer. Let me know how your photojpegs look.

Did you seen any of the newer 540p files I uploaded of yours? X'tabay came out quite nice.

DVCPro50 is cleaner (by a good margin) than HDV. But if we can roll mjpeg, that's the answer. Let me know how your photojpegs look.

Did you seen any of the newer 540p files I uploaded of yours? X'tabay came out quite nice.

All right, PM me your ftp info. 7 mins of video in M/JPEG is 15G, this is going to take a week to upload, but DVD is too small.

Let's try one to make sure you can decode it, then I will have to buy a USB HD and put the rest on there. Can you read a Mac HD or do I need FAT32 ?

All right, PM me your ftp info. 7 mins of video in M/JPEG is 15G, this is going to take a week to upload, but DVD is too small.

Let's try one to make sure you can decode it, then I will have to buy a USB HD and put the rest on there. Can you read a Mac HD or do I need FAT32 ?

Fat32. I have no access to anything Mac. I am trying to have a friend at the local film school convert Paco's AIC encoded videos for me.

Lemme see about the FTP.

-P

Perrone, this would be a lot easier if you'd just switch to OSX. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom