Cave Exploration in Utah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCR Josh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here is a recent report written, by Randy (MixAddict). I figured I would post it since he hasn't had time yet, and I didn't want to write a whole new one-

"I'm sure for many of you that live full time in cave country or other areas around the world where there are numerous underwater caves found, exploring a virgin cave is not a once in a life time event! For a small group of tight knit Utah cave divers, Ricks Spring is a dream come true. You may recall reading an article in the CDS magazine last year concerning the ongoing exploration of Ricks Springs in Logan Canyon, Utah. Of course compared to Wakulla or other major exploration projects, Ricks is of little consequence in the overall scheme of things, but having a diveable cave within a couple of hours of home is absolutely fantastic!

We have been pushing this cave over the past 3 years. Originally dived by Wendell Nope and Richard Lamb, the Ricks exploration team now consist of 9 people: Wendell Nope, Richard Lamb, Tom Lamb, Matt Mimnaugh, Tibby Petrescue, Mike Robinson, Joshua Thornton, Michael Thornton, & Randy Thornton.

As a high flow, high altitude fresh water spring, diving Ricks is a challenge in many ways. It is only divable during certain months of the year due to excessive flow! When I say flow, I mean during spring run-off times, you can't even make it in the entrance let alone make any headway in the cave! Probably the biggest challenge is the water temperature. 40 degrees is cold by anyone's standards, and cave diving in this environment certainly appeals to only the most vigorous divers! Dry suits, thick hoods and gloves make virtually every aspect of laying line in virgin passageway a challenge. Additionally, smoothed scolloped surfaces with few legitimate tie off points make for line laying challenges.

About 1500 feet into the cave, you hit a dry section which then requires climbing up a waterfall section and portage through about 300 additional feet of dry/wet limestone area to the next section of going underwater cave. As of yesterday, with the teams assistance, Josh and Michael Thornton added about 300 feet of additional passage making explored passage past the dry section about 700-750 feet, for a total of approximately 2200 feet of cave explored. (rough estimate, as at some point we will go back an do a legitimate measurement!) According to Josh and Michael, the new unexplored passage became extremely silty as the percolation dislodged silt resting in the scolloped cups on the sides of the cave and viz when from 100 feet to 2 inches!

Run times for exploring the end of lines at this point are running in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range, so you can imagine how cold the divers are when exiting the cave in these temperatures! The divers usually require help removing their equipment and getting out of the water at that stage because they are so wiped out!

The cave is definitely sidemount access. There are some very large passages, but also some restrictions that just wouldn't allow for backmount access. Yesterday, in order to continue past the dry section, the push team staged cylinders at the dry section so that they could use just their primary LP 85s in the new section without having to worry about extra stages in the large crack that is currently being explored.

Last year the CDS donated some gold line to be installed. Less than a year later, parts of the gold line already need to be repaired, and we hope to work on that project in the next few weeks as well as improve the routing in a few places. Past the dry section there is only exploration line in place for now, but the team is hoping to install more gold line later this fall. Hopefully, if I can figure out how to get my housing through the cave safely, I'll post some pictures of the inside later this fall.

Regards,
Randy "

Here is a little more about what we did Saturday:

Michael and I made it to the end of the line I laid last fall. Surprisingly the thin exploration line was in great shape, only requiring us to repair one 30 ft section. This part of the cave is beautiful! Large passageways lead into a small restriction. Once through the restriction, you enter a large crack that is maybe 5 ft wide (at the widest point), and around 90 ft from top to bottom. It makes for a very interesting dive.

At the end of the line (around 2000 ft penetration), Michael tied in with his reel and started his first foray into virgin territory! Both Michael and I had this on our list of lifetime goals. I cannot explain how it feels to go where truly no one else has ever been. What a feeling. We headed down what we thought was the right way. Laying 200-300 feet of line we ended in a complete silt out with the crack pinching off. At this point we called the dive and headed out. Luckily the viz cleared up to about 15 ft at the 1800 ft penetration mark.

Slightly before Michael tied off and started laying line, I saw up and behind us what seemed to be a promising, more open, passageway through the giant crack. This is the path we will try next dive.

Matt and Tom where waiting back in the dry section to go in after us. About 30 seconds in to their dive, Tom's light failed and they called the dive. Very frustrating to the both of them, but that is life.

Anyway- just thought we would share some of our excitement here in Utah. Richard had his video camera on this dive- I will try and get some video posted once we go through it.

Attachments

• Ricks Team web.jpg
    Ricks Team web.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Ricks close web.jpg
    Ricks close web.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Ricks Long shot web.jpg
    Ricks Long shot web.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Josh Michael prep web.jpg
    Josh Michael prep web.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Matt Michael Josh web.jpg
    Matt Michael Josh web.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 152
Great report. 40 degrees? Cant imagine 2 1/2 hours in that !

Thankfully we had good surface support to help us get out of the water and out of our gear! We are pretty cold and tired by this point...

Last edited:
Sadly Richard says we only have a few seconds of good video from this last outing. Gear failures and plenty of silt from us upstream made for a bad video day!

Here is an older (last year) video of one of the exploration dives- just click on the picture to start the video:

Ichiban 3

P.S. Is there a good way to post a video?

Tuesday Sept 22nd-

Josh Thornton, Matt Mimnaugh and Amy Smith ran up to Ricks for a quick dive. Amy ended up volunteering to clear rocks from the entrance for an hour (MANY THANKS!) while Matt and Josh went on what was to be a leisurely dive. The dive was full of the usual excitement in being in a barely known cave, and the awe of the 100+ ft of viz.

Getting to the first dry section (1300 ft.), Matt and I still had plenty of gas and decided to climb Wayne’s Waterfall and haul our cylinders to the Moon Pool (1600 ft) and see if we couldn’t make it to the end of the line. We picked up the reel that Michael and I left a few weeks ago and started looking.

Matt swam with the reel in the direction I thought was the way to go, only to hit a dead end. At that moment we both looked up and saw air above us. I think it is safe to say that we both thought this was most likely another small air space as seen in previous areas of the cave. Seconds later I notice water running into the space right above us. At that moment I new this had to be another dry section similar to the first, which was about 750 feet behind us (rough estimate). I signaled Matt and we headed towards it.

As we popped our heads up, I can’t explain the feeling that rushes through not only your mind, but also your whole body as one lays their eyes on such a beautiful cave, a cave that no one had ever seen before. Not missing a beat Matt and I ripped off our fins and started up the rocks.

I came around the corner to find Matt awestruck looking up and to the left. “Now THAT’S a waterfall!” he said, as I looked up. That moment might very well qualify as the most exciting moment in my diving life. A stunning 20 ft over hung waterfall spilled into a 10 ft pool of crystal clear water. We were like two boys in a candy shop!

After exploring the second dry section we now have 2 different ways to go. The first would be up the waterfall- we shinned our lights up into a large room where the water enters the dry section. The second will be another source of water with an entrance similar to the original entrance to Ricks. We “poked our heads” back about 50 ft into this passageway, and it looks promising.

Although we only added another 30-50 ft of line from where Michael and I explored last time, this dive was a huge success. Of course Michael was excited to hear about it, but a little upset that we barely missed it last time. The visibility was a decent 10-15 ft on the way out, which we can’t complain about. Without any survey work done past the first dry section Matt and I estimate that total penetration, including the second dry section is around 2500 ft.

And no worries, we aren’t slowing down. We are planning on another expedition this Saturday. This will be our first try at taking a full camera setup (housing, arms & strobes) in and past the dry section. Any tips or pointer would be appreciated! We hope to get some decent photos of the “real waterfall” in Ricks.

Stay tuned……

Josh and Matt had another big push at Ricks yesterday which included climbing up a 20 foot waterfall in the 3rd dry section as well as checking out a "no mount" section!

Hopefully either Josh or Matt will come along and post an update! They also got some cool pictures!

First off we have an announcement to make- Matt has officially named the second waterfall “Vestal Falls.” Very fitting being as the word “vestal” means pure, or virgin.

3988598781_8dddb9287c.jpg

Now for the exploration update that Randy is pushing for :cool2::

Oct 6th 2009-

I feel like I am always learning new skills while exploring Risks – like underground waterfall climbing.

Matt and I went up to Ricks for another exciting adventure. Our goal was to get some pictures that might be usable for an article I am trying to write. Well, as you can see, we took some pictures, but they didn’t turn out quite like planned.

I won’t bore you with another description of the cave leading up to the second dry section. Matt and I went around the second dry section taking pictures and taking in the beauty.

It wasn’t long before we decided to lay some line starting from the Smash Pool (the little, pool, just past Vestal Falls that we think is the way to go…). Matt led the way while I attempted to take some photos. You may recall from an earlier post that this passageway starts with a restriction and opens into a bedding plane type room that is maybe 5-6 ft tall and 30-40 ft wide. Matt hit a restriction that he could not fit through with his 98s and let me squeeze through with my 85s (I know what you are thinking, how could Josh fit through with his muscular build, right?). I made it about another 8-10 feet and hit a no-mount restriction. Although we both had plenty of gas, we didn’t feel up to it today, so we turned.

3988589619_d4443869d8.jpg

Matt laying line past the Smash Pool

3988589895_b21794dc58.jpg

Looking in towards the no-mount restriction past the Smash Pool

On our way out, Matt and I stopped to look at Vestal Falls for a few minutes. As we both looked up at it, I said “I bet we could almost climb that!” Matt quickly responded, “You wanna try?” Of course, I did. I scampered up the falls (scampered is most definitely the wrong word, it was pretty intense and quite difficult). I figured I would look around a bit to make sure it was worth Matt coming up too. See the pictures ☺

Matt “scampered” up the falls also and we spent a good 30 min exploring what turned out to be another 200-300 ft dry section filled with beautiful cave formations and another “waterfall” similar to Wayne’s Waterfall, but a scaled down version. We have decided to name this upper dry section (above Vestal Falls) “The Elysium.”

3988591795_4875abb1a2.jpg

3989349858_7f9c4a52fb.jpg

The view from the top of Vestal Falls

3988593017_d8d490b56d.jpg

At the end of The Elysium the water flows heavily out of a pile of boulders and breakdown. We wonder if there is a passageway of any size behind them. Perhaps if the no-mount section past the Smash Pool turns out to be too small, we may have to find out…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom