Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As some of you may know, Aldora has been exploring the far northwest side of Cozumel (north of Barracuda) for interesting dive sites. Indeed we have defined about 8 truly unique and interesting sites which we frequently dive now and refer to as the Polar Express. But that has not stopped our exploration and yesterday we found the fabled Cave of the Sleeping Sharks (or at least the one near Cozumel). It is in about 90 feet of water with a bottom similar to the rolling hills undulation of Paso De Cedral. WE had several VERY experienced Mexican dive professionals with us yet did not completely ID the sharks. They were not Black Tips, nor Caribbean Reef Sharks. The best guess now is that they are Silky Sharks. WE will be trying to get some quality video for posting

The currents are about the same as Barracuda and the place is about 3 miles further from the shore than our other Polar Express sites. WE will run trips there when we have very experienced divers, with a second dive at one of our normal Polar Express sites. Further details will be posted on our web site.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

When I saw the title I thought you were talking about the cave of the sleeping sharks dive site nearer to Isla Mujeres, which unfortunately is not considered to be a good dive, and more of a tourist trap if you can call classify a dive site as one. Glad to hear you're onto something else!

Dear Mike,

These are not lazy nurse sharks, but real ones way out there. I have not been there myself yet but will be tomorrow, weather permitting. We have seen a lot of new things up in the North but this is amazing.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Um...don't wake them up? We'd miss you! :wink:

This is indeed great news! I will be following any updates with interest. A trip to Cozumel is not in the cards for me this year so this is the next best thing to being there. Looking forward to video of your discovery.

I have always been festinated by the north end of the island & have told my wife for years there must be good diving up there. Very exciting! Thankx Dave!!

p.s. whoo hoo! Silky's one of my favorite sharks!!!

Do Silky sharks eat divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom