Cave rescue incident information please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone remember a story about some cave divers, who were obviously not trained properly, who penetrated very deeply into a cave, took pictures of themselves, and in the picture you can read the air gage of one of the divers, and it showed that they did not have enough air to get back out of the cave? Apparantly those who frequently dive in to this cave recognized a rock formation in the background of the picture and knew where the photo was taken. I think one of the divers was a woman who was smiling in the picture with her regulator out of her mouth, not realizing that she was soon about to run out of air and drown. I heard this story when I was considering becoming a cave diver and some friends told me this story to warn me of the dangers of cave diving. I don't know if the story has any merit.

barbara:
Does anyone remember a story about some cave divers, who were obviously not trained properly, who penetrated very deeply into a cave, took pictures of themselves, and in the picture you can read the air gage of one of the divers, and it showed that they did not have enough air to get back out of the cave? Apparantly those who frequently dive in to this cave recognized a rock formation in the background of the picture and knew where the photo was taken. I think one of the divers was a woman who was smiling in the picture with her regulator out of her mouth, not realizing that she was soon about to run out of air and drown. I heard this story when I was considering becoming a cave diver and some friends told me this story to warn me of the dangers of cave diving. I don't know if the story has any merit.

Can't say for certain as this is is the first I have heard of this story, but it sounds like it has all the makings of an urban legend. How did the camera get out of the cave for the divers to recognize the picture? Why did it just so happen that the SPG could be seen and read in the picture? Where are these pictures now?

Didn't see anything on Snopes about this one, but urban legend would be my best guess.

Haven't heard this story either, but the camera could have been retrived with the recoverd the bodies. The camera would still exist after the owner died. I would think a recovery cave diver would be familiar with the area in order to perform the search and recovery. I would also think that in a recovery effort, they would have retrived as much as possible of the gear and examine for clues to see what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom