Cave Training in Cozumel - Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As a followup to our trip report, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/241665-cave-training-cozumel.html, you may now see a 14 minute video of our last dive here: Jungle Cenote

K-valve & I promised to keep the name and location of this cenote secret so I just titled the video, Jungle Cenote, because we had to hike through quite a bit of the thick green vegetation without a trail to get to the entrance. Once inside we found the cave to be MUCH DARKER than other systems. This is a result of several factors including tanic stained walls and tons of silt which has been undisturbed for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. All that black matter made shooting video difficult, especially with no special equipment or white limestone walls for light to reflect off.

I've pieced together as much footage as possible from our last dive, in the order I filmed it, to try and share the experience of a single cave dive and if you pay attention, you'll notice the line arrows change direction once we turn the dive and are heading out of the cave. There are two alternate openings we pass under on the dive as well as ancient pottery, charred rock/wood and bones. It's important to protect these artifacts, thus the request for location secrecy.

Hope you enjoy the video, Jungle Cenote.

-Zinc

Dang it, Brandon! You should've waited to show that just before our next trip. Now I have the bug again and don't have anything planned for 2 months!! I'm gonna suffer!!! :wink:

Seriously, beautiful job. The first song was absolutely perfect for the video. That was a good time, buddy! Thanks for the video!!

"Two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl
.......................................................... year after year"

Brought a tear to my eye. Really did choke me up.

Thanks for sharing this ...

Awesome show guys!!!

Cool... but I think I am staying out of overhead environments - they give me the heebie jeebies.. I have friends who say scuba makes them feel claustrophobic. Having a solid surface that close in would make me feel claustrophobic...

Enjoyed the video and it makes me want to give it a try!

Did y'all carry your own gear into the jungle or did you have sherpas?

Don't know if the closeness of the caves would bother me or not. I am claustrophobic, but diving in the open water doesn't trigger it.

Enjoyed the video and it makes me want to give it a try!

Did y'all carry your own gear into the jungle or did you have sherpas?

Don't know if the closeness of the caves would bother me or not. I am claustrophobic, but diving in the open water doesn't trigger it.

We suited up on the side of the road, then hiked in full gear through the jungle to the cenote. Unfortunately we didn't have sherpas, but sure would've been nice to have them.

As for claustrophobia, the systems can be quite large, sometimes HUGE. While I don't care for small spaces in dry caving, when diving, the smaller passages are a bit more comforting to me because they naturally keep you close to the guideline. Of course I haven't gone side mount through any major restrictions yet :wink:

awesome video,thanx for sharing. was this on theisland or did you travel to the mainland? me and the wife are going next year and would love to check it out with out having to ferry to the mainland

awesome video,thanx for sharing. was this on theisland or did you travel to the mainland? me and the wife are going next year and would love to check it out with out having to ferry to the mainland

This was on the island. There are plenty of easily accessible cenotes on Coz...and others that are far from being easily accessible. The one we did most of our training in we drove right up to the entrance.

Contact German Yanez if you are looking for a guided trip. He knows the cenotes on Coz like the back of his hand. He's also and instructor if you want a cave diving cert. Here's his website: Yucatech Expeditions.

German also was...don't know if he still is...the island's diving safety officer. You won't find a more capable guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom