Cavern/Intro to Tech class report plus bonus cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..and apparently the instructor is a NAUI instructor.

NAUI Cave I, basically the next step from cavern(which apparently isn't a pre-req). It even allows for a couple of navigational decisions had they decided to make one. Its basically like Apprentice without deco.

Interesting observation and comments on the depth and definition of cavern. I'll be teaching at Ginnie & Paradise on Monday - not sure I'll be going as far in with my cavern students!

InkDiver, please don't get me wrong, I'm not alleging that they did anything unacceptable as I recognize that each agency has their own training protocol.

You're right about the jump. I re-read the OP's dives and misunderstood the first time where she indicated that she was shown the Hill 400 jump "and we turned". I thought they turned left when in actuality, the dive was turned.

You answered my question regarding the protocol - that an NACD or NSS-CDS instructor can take a student on a dive one level up.

I just did my GUE Cave 1 this past weekend. Actually, I should have said that I had my ass handed to me this past weekend :D. We did all the dives in Devil's Ear/Eye b/c the other locations were out. GUE uses 1/6 gas rules for its Cave 1 students, so the furthest we reached is just past cornflakes. It was about 18 dives repleat with post failures, shut down drills, failed lights, line drills, lost buddy drills, OOG drills, simulated silt outs, etc. No "fun" dives at all! :depressed:

I got a provisional due to a stupid mistake on my penultimate dive (worse possible time to make it). My instructor told me I was golden for a pass until that goof-up. My left post was already down on a prior failure (I had shut it down) and then, wouldn't you know, my right post failed. The buddy in front went to donate and I hesitated grabbing his reg thinking that mine was as "fixable" issue since the bubbles stopped. The mistake was that I should have grabbed his reg first AND THEN sorted out the issues. I guess the "sting" of the provisional made me learn that lesson. No worries though... glad it happened. It's all about learning :wink:

InkDiver, please don't get me wrong, I'm not alleging that they did anything unacceptable as I recognize that each agency has their own training protocol.

You're right about the jump. I re-read the OP's dives and misunderstood the first time where she indicated that she was shown the Hill 400 jump "and we turned". I thought they turned left when in actuality, the dive was turned.

You answered my question regarding the protocol - that an NACD or NSS-CDS instructor can take a student on a dive one level up.

I just did my GUE Cave 1 this past weekend. Actually, I should have said that I had my ass handed to me this past weekend :D. We did all the dives in Devil's Ear/Eye b/c the other locations were out. GUE uses 1/6 gas rules for its Cave 1 students, so the furthest we reached is just past cornflakes. It was about 18 dives repleat with post failures, shut down drills, failed lights, line drills, lost buddy drills, OOG drills, simulated silt outs, etc. No "fun" dives at all! :depressed:

I got a provisional due to a stupid mistake on my penultimate dive (worse possible time to make it). My instructor told me I was golden for a pass until that goof-up. My left post was already down on a prior failure (I had shut it down) and then, wouldn't you know, my right post failed. The buddy in front went to donate and I hesitated grabbing his reg thinking that mine was as "fixable" issue since the bubbles stopped. The mistake was that I should have grabbed his reg first AND THEN sorted out the issues. I guess the "sting" of the provisional made me learn that lesson. No worries though... glad it happened. It's all about learning :wink:

No worries. Yeah, always remember that as long as you have gas, the rest is just taking your time to figure things out. No gas, no need to figure anything out.

Interesting observation and comments on the depth and definition of cavern. I'll be teaching at Ginnie & Paradise on Monday - not sure I'll be going as far in with my cavern students!
Oh geez.

How about we call it "Cavern class and first dive of NAUI Cave 1 class" so everyone can unwad their panties?

I guess its a good thing you aren't very far away.

It always bothers me reading these GUE reports of one fumble in 5 days being the "cause" of a provisional. Its not like you can go home and practice remembering that you left post is off and what to do when your right fails. You can go diving alot more and try to increase your overall bandwidth. While that's really what its all about, they aren't teaching that directly IMO. Combined with your lack of any "fun" diving and being limited to Ginnie because of flooding, I am a bit disappointed in your report. Not you personally, GUE as an agency.

In an ideal world (given conditions) I would have liked to have seen you do 2 or 3 days at Ginnie. Then just go fun cavern diving (maybe manatee? never been there) I know JB was open during your course. Go fun diving with your instructor with the understanding that you'll be coming back to finish.

I'll hazard a guess that you weren't really "acing" things and that the left-right post confusion wasn't the only issue behind the provisional. But I find the lack of breadth and "drilled down to one event" evaluation disappointing from an agency I otherwise find recommendable.

I guess I agree with runawaylobster's progression and teaching of down4fun's course, esp. given the flooding right now.

Oh geez.

How about we call it "Cavern class and first dive of NAUI Cave 1 class" so everyone can unwad their panties?

:rofl3: I like that.

Apparently I was not as clear as I thought in my description of the class followed by guided dive one level up, what agency it was with (didn't know it would matter) and viewing a jump v.s. making it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom