Cavern with GDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, despite my fears to the contrary after reading earlier course reviews, I made it through Rick's Cavern course in one piece. Jtoorish's thread below is an excellent review of the course (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=169329
), though I only completed the cavern portion.

While very humbling, it was a great experience. Prior to taking the class, I had no idea of the skills needed to safely dive what I previously thought would be relatively safe caverns.

This really struck home hard for me on our dive into Blue Grotto. I had run the line down to the far back of the cavern and tied off. I was following Rick around while we occasionally covered our lights to confirm we could still see light (just barely most of the time). After maybe 5 minutes of swimming about, Rick turns to me signaling "where is the line?" while handing me the infamous “Fickle Mask of Fate”. I don't know if I was narc'd or just being lazy (probably both) but I put on the mask and realized I really didn't know where the line was!:shakehead I went ahead and tried my best, but was unable to find my way back before Rick had to call the drill. In hind sight, I was doing a "trust me" dive, which Rick repeatedly warned me of. As many have mentioned before, Rick is a great instructor, but the world's worst "buddy". :wink: Even though I had successfully done a lost line drill on an earlier dive at shallower depths, this failed attempt really stuck with me, and was a very sobering experience. It's not a fun feeling to be truely lost and blind in an overhead, period.

I wasn't sure if diving in a cavern (heck, it sure felt like a cave though!) would freak me out, but I didn't mind at all. My SAC rate was pretty outragous though, but every dive was full of new skills and experiences, often while wearing the “Fickle Mask of Fate”. Thankfully the mask didn't bother me too much either and I was able to muddle my way through the drills while wearing it.

Oh, and I too managed to kill Rick. :( You can find him tangled in a line at 95ffw, off to the right in Blue Grotto. Sorry about that! :eyebrow:

I'm really looking forward to getting back to Florida and trying some more cavern dives. Hopefully next time I can find a better buddy that doesn't constantly run out of air, get tangled in the line, leading me astray to far off nooks and crannies, only to disappear in an impenetrable cloud of silt. :D But even if they do, atleast now I know what to do, and have a fighting chance to make it back out. :14:

Thanks!
Jason

Congratulations Jason!

It is true that no one can truly describe this kind of training, it does need to be experienced first hand.

It sounds as if you did yourself proud!

Jeff

Way to go Jason! To bad you live so far awy from them caverns! It sounds like the bug may have bitten just a bit. But most of all glad you had a good time and learned from it.

Butch

Congrats!!!!
So many of us killed Rick - gee how this guy survives this?

GDI your "stables" are getting bigger and bigger
:D
Mania

Ah yes , the dreaded MASK !!!! :D :D :D

Hey , congrats on the cavern cert!!! YAY !!!!

Rick is a whole lot of fun , isn't he??? :confused:

Jeano Beano

P.S. I think all his past students ought to take the GDI'er on an overhead dive sometime!!!
And we all can WHIP out our special masks on him... :wink:
Oh boy , can I think up a few ideas to spring on him.

Hmmm....Maybe a new thread is in order...

Dear Beano
I have a bunch of ideas!!!!
I crave for a revenge for the Peanut tunnel dive....
Mania

Jason, congrats on passing your cavern class!

mania:
Dear Beano
I have a bunch of ideas!!!!
I crave for a revenge for the Peanut tunnel dive....
Mania

Mania:
I can think of a Mud Tunnel trip too ... :D
Oh wait , that's Rick that wants to get me in there with HIM leading ... :confused:

Da Bean

Oh ... the evil mask. What memories it bring back. As does being narked at 140' on air. Good lessons. Rick is a fine teacher. We plan a return visit.

Congrats on your cavern class. I too went thru many of the same emotions. The bug has bit! I hope you will continue on with your overhead training. Good luck and good diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom