Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman in June and I just have a few questions. I have never been to Cayman Brac before, but I have been to Grand Cayman.
Cayman Brac:
I plan on renting a car since I am not staying at a resort with a dive shop. Are there car rental places at the airport that I can book ahead of time? I can't find much info about it.
Is there only one dive shop on the island (Brac Reef)?
What are some must dos?
We have a kitchen where we are staying. Is it easy to get groceries or should we bring over some things we want from Grand Cayman?
Any restaurant recommendations if we decide we want to go out?

Grand Cayman:
We are staying at the Reef Resort on the East side. Last time I was there we did a mix of diving on both the East and West side, but we stayed on 7MB. We think we want to do a mix of both again.
Does anyone know which is the most accessible west side dive shop from the east? Is it Sunset House? I would like to try to avoid driving through town since there is a cruise ship in almost every day we are there.
Does any one have any experience diving with Red Sail/Tortuga Divers? Last time I dove the East side I used Ocean Frontiers and I was happy with them, but the Reef offers a discount with Red Sail.
Is the new Kittiwake a must dive? I see some dive shops charge a premium to go there.
Lastly, my last trip to Grand Cayman was in 2008. Anything new that I should try (restaurants, bars, dive sites, etc..)?

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any help/suggestions.
:cool2:

in re Grand... I can't remember the name, there is a dive shop just a little east of Georgetown on Church street. I just can't remember thier name. They would be the closest one to the east end.

As for food, I found two I REALLY liked. One is Chicken Chicken in a shopping center along 7MB road. The other is a little Indian cafe beside the Pirate Caves (in BoddenTown IIRC). Everything is made fresh, so it can take a little bit to get the food, but hmmmmmmm. I Highly recommend the samosas. Also, try the local meat pies they sell all over, I think they were called "Patties".

My next trip won't be without dives on the Kittiwake, weather permitting. But I like wrecks. I don't think it's been down long enough to have all the little life that takes hold when the "wreck" starts to become "wreef".

Do a web search for cayman brac car rentals.
They'll meet your flight. CB car rental adjacent the airport.

Three or four car hire agencies on the Brac, including CB, B&S and 4D's. We use 4D's. All will meet you at the airport if pre-arranged.

As far as I know Reef Divers at the Brac Reef Resort is the only remaining dive operator on the Brac.

Brac must do's? Dive. Visit a bat cave. Relax.

Three or four groceries on the Brac – no need to bring stuff from Grand Cayman.

My favorite Brac restaurant is La Esperanza (Bussy's).

We've used OF and Red Sail - Tortuga and have had good experiences with both. OF gives you more freedom, but Tortuga is closer. General consensus here has been that if you're more experienced divers you'll like OF better. Whether or not it's worth the price difference, I can't say.

Sunset House has a Kittiwake dive on Monday and Wednesday afternoon for $55, much cheaper than the $90+ that a lot of places are charging. There isn't much life on the Kittiwake yet, but there are 3 decks worth of places you can go in and out and through as an OW diver. The biggest downside to the Kittiwake is that it is very popular and it isn't very big. You will see other divers the whole time you're on the wreck.

We go into town several days a week and I can't remember a shop that's closer than Sunset House, but I haven't really looked either. If you avoid Church Street - West Bay Rd (take Linford Pearson to Esterly Tibbetts), it really isn't that much longer of a drive to the shops on SMB (except at rush hour). Avoiding the crowds once you're there, however...

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

We just got back from 2 weeks in the Cayman's. The first week was on the Aggressor and the diving was great. We did do the Kittiwake and it was fun. I'm not big into wreck diving but did enjoy this dive. My husband loved it. It is not a reef yet but it is neat to see things you recognize. My husband met a Goliath Grouper in the decompression chamber. I could see myself in the mirrors. Everything is open and safe.

We stayed at Brac Reef Beach Resort and loved it. The dive op is very nice. Every day we had people diving with us who were not staying on site. The weather was pretty windy and most days we had 4 ft waves. The boats go out in almost all weather conditions so be prepared for some rough rides. They have a great outside bar, The Tipsy Turtle Pub, that also serves food. Many locals and other island guests come to eat there. We loved the Fish and Chips and had it for lunch almost every day. There was so much food that my husband and I shared most days. Breakfast and dinner were part of our package and the food was very good there as well. It's buffet. I think you can also eat there even if you are not staying at the resort. One of our group at at their Grand Palm Restaurant and raved about their fine dining experience. We noticed that a number of the people who dove with us that weren't resort guests also enjoyed using the beach and pool.

My thrill of the week was spotting a 10 ft Scalloped Hammerhead. My heart still beats fast when I think about it.

Enjoy you time in the Cayman's - we did :eek:)

I am going to Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman in June and I just have a few questions....Cayman Brac:
I plan on renting a car since I am not staying at a resort with a dive shop. Are there car rental places at the airport that I can book ahead of time? I can't find much info about it.

Make rental car arrangements before you leave home; pretty much all the places are independent (no franchises to speak of) and will meet you in the airport parking lot. After you clear the building, just ask anyone. The two ones used most are B&S and DDDD's. We've been using DDDD's for years; their phone# is (345) 948-1599, although they also have an email address. Discount if you pay in cash; figure just over $200 per week.

Is there only one dive shop on the island (Brac Reef)?

Yes, if you're looking for one with diveboats :D

What are some must dos?

As knotical mentioned, visiting a (Bat) cave can be interesting. There's at least five (5) easy-to-access small caves on the island.

Since you'll have a car, its worth a drive up to the top of the bluff and all the way out to the Lighthouse & Bluff on the east end; there's a trail here that winds over to the left, which eventually connects to Spot Bay via Peter's Cave. In June, there might still be a few nesting Boobie birds up along here, around a 20 minute walk from the car park (~60% of the way to the better overlook of Little Cayman Brac - - the sight that's right at the beginning of this video). However, for seeing Peter's Cave, the laziest way to see it is to take the turn-off on the Lighthouse Road and drive over to the parking lot that's at the top, then walk a mere 20ft down the staircase (rather than 120ft up).

Something else that I like to recommend is the Cayman Brac museum in Stake Bay. Its a quiet hour or two, and The "Hurricane of '32" book is sold here ... pick it up early during your stay, so you can read it and then go drive the island.

FWIW, I'm not sure if this will work (feedback please)...but here's my set of Cayman Brac landmarks on Google Maps.

We have a kitchen where we are staying. Is it easy to get groceries or should we bring over some things we want from Grand Cayman?

Fairly easy. You'll need to be aware of store hours when you first arrive to get your initial stocks. As a rule of thumb, don't expect latenight hours or Sundays. We frequent "Billy's" and "Marketplace" more often than "Kirkonnel's". This is especially true for beer/wine/etc...these are all closed down all day on Sundays.

Any restaurant recommendations if we decide we want to go out?

I generally recommend everyone to try Aunt Sha's. Its not fancy, but is simply good genuine local food and quite affordable. Its on the north side a very short distance east of Tibbets's Square, on the north side of the road.

Here's an "official" list followed by my comments:

Brac Reef, including their bar menu as well as their new higher-end restaurant are both solid & reliable, and are particularly good if you're looking for a good green salad after too many days of fried foods. The latter is competing against the restaurant at the Alexander's Hotel, both in terms of quality and price.

The Captain's Table - used to be the high end place years ago, but has changed management. I'd say that its amenities appear nicer than Aunt Sha's, but I'll go to Sha's for the food.

Marketplace - in the supermarket; mostly pizza-to-go and a hot daily, as well as a few other things - -more a quick midday lunch. Kirkconnell's up in Spot Bay has a similar setup. Both will usually sell out of their hot luncheon plate.

PoPo Jebs - is on the road going into the airport, figure sandwitches & pizza.

Brac Snack Shack - is on the northside road (going west), on the bluffside directly across the street from the old Bucaneer Hotel (see references to shore diving sites); its a lunchtime place with outdoor picnic tables.

Golden Jerk is just 50ft around the corner from Marketplace (northside, on right going east). Its a Jerk Chicken/Pork Stand that runs a few days per week (take-out); in front of Edd's Place (a local bar, not recommended).

Biggies - northside road going east, water-side of road / near the Texaco Gas Station. Kind of a "Sports Bar" theme now (the old manager is now running Captain's Table); fine for a burger.

(Unknown Name) - nothside, heading east, water-side of road: a tiny hole-in-the-wall we keep driving past in a coral pink colored house...they'll have a sign out with the day's specials; haven't tried it yet.

(Unknown Name) - nothside, heading east, water-side of road: there's also a place in a white building that was new last year (also haven't tried it yet). I think this is in Church Tree Bay?

(Unknown Name) - there's a little shopping mall set back off the road behind the above "White Building" place. There's a small place in here that we've not tried yet.

Tropical Delite - northside; much further east, in "Catboat Plaza" on north side of road. Pretty good local food; no ambiance.

La Esperanza - northside, nearly in Spot Bay, waterfront. Used to be good years ago, but the last two times we've been there, they weren't serving food, so we left.

Blue Breeze Cafe(?) - northside, near Spot Bay, blufffside. Located roughly across the street from the Panama Canal ("Handcuff") boat ramp (slightly to the east). Haven't tried it yet.

I should have an update of all of these places before your trip in June.

We just got back from 2 weeks in the Cayman's...stayed at Brac Reef Beach Resort and loved it. The dive op is very nice. Every day we had people diving with us who were not staying on site. The weather was pretty windy and most days we had 4 ft waves. The boats go out in almost all weather conditions so be prepared for some rough rides...

My thrill of the week was spotting a 10 ft Scalloped Hammerhead. My heart still beats fast when I think about it.

Nice! Now was this hammerhead the one seen on Tuesday at 120fsw off of Inside Out, or the one seen on Friday at Wilderness Wall? Gotta Love Facebook :D If I get lucky, I'll catch the pod of Orcas again this spring.

-hh

-hh

Your map link is great! I needed to exercise a little patience while my rickety old computer loaded everything, but very nice job.

-hh

I spotted the one at Wilderness. After 12 years of diving it was my first Hammerhead.

-hh

Your map link is great! I needed to exercise a little patience while my rickety old computer loaded everything, but very nice job.

Yay! It works! :D

There's still plenty more locations that I need to add. For example, I noticed that I've missed many of the northside eateries, as well as a gas station or two.

BTW, a quick additional note on restaurants. The two high end places (Royal Palm at Brac Reef and the place at Alexanders) can be categorized as Fine Dining and carry what I'd shorthand as "New York City" prices. From an (unwritten?) dress code standpoint, instead of shorts & sandals, I wear a collared shirt, slacks & shoes.

As such, they're a step above the kind of place that most people would consider for a normal "weekly night out". While as a visitor we are free to indulge, for the local Braccers, you can think of these as being more typically reserved for a special occasion, such as the family going out to celebrate an anniversary, birthday, etc.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom