Cayman coral spawn, Sept 12-13, 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
It's that time of year and dive ops will add on some extra night dives if they can get the interest. Coral spawns in a massive synchronized spawn. This year the spawn is predicted for September 12th and 13th. Most years Ocean Frontiers puts on a program for the coral spawn. Come on down and check it out.

The Cayman Islands Department of Environment have installed some grids of limestone substrate plates in the area of a proposed cruise ship berthing development. The hope is to capture some of the genetic diversity of this part of the reef so it could be relocated if the development proceeds with dredging.

I am hoping we can get Reef Divers to do a night dive one or both nights at LCBR. We will be there that week and I am hoping for a chance to see the spawning.

If the weather allows, Reef Divers will put on night dives for sure. Last time I was there, they went around the corner and we night dived top of the wall. They usually do Tuesday/Thursday but for a coral spawn, they would probably be prepared to go out every night if they have enough divers signed up. I was fortunate enough to witness a spawn on Bonaire once and it was special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom