Cayman Dive Experiences - Second Visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disagreements and all, this has been a useful thread. Thank you.

I quite agree, and am not sure how I missed it when it was new and hot.

I'm an avid East End fan, having cut my teeth there with OF in 1998 and then returning every few years. I don't think I've ever seen more than 12 divers (plus crew) on any of their boats.

My take on the subject is this; if some folks don't like East End, it makes it less crowded for those of us who do! That's one of the beautifiul things about the Cayman Islands, there is a wide range of diving experiences from which to choose.

DS

Okay, here's a question for you all - now that I've decided that the East End of GC is the place to stay (quieter, probably better diving) - where should I stay? I think I want to stay at Southern Cross Club or Pirate Point on LC, but haven't figured out the best place to stay on GC. Is there a comfortable, nicer place to stay with shore diving or that caters really well to divers on the East End of GC? If so, please share.

Thanks!

I mentioned the 3 main east end options on the other thread - Reef, Morritt's, and Compass Point. They're all nice, Compass Point is more of a "dive resort" the others are just nice resorts. But no shore diving on site at these places, though some decent snorkeling. In theory there is plenty shore diving on the east end. Practically speaking, I think it's more for the locals. You're talking difficult access since there's lots of private property, long swims with possibly tricky entries and conditions, and above all problems getting tanks. Things change from time to time, but historically the dive ops don't allow tanks to be taken off site for shore diving, and the only place that rents tanks to do with as you please is a dive shop on the west end of the island.

It's getting harder for us local shore divers too. Access points keep disappearing as land becomes developed. An access path only needs to be 4' wide, but shore divers don't have enough political and/or financial clout to get the Govnt. to force developers to dedicate access paths. Depressing.

Back
Top Bottom