Cayman Dive Trip July 29-Aug 4, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We took a week off and went to Grand Cayman for a glorious week of diving in one of our favorite dive spots. We have been to Cayman several times over the past 10 years. We stayed at the Comfort Suites on 7 mile beach. Good location, large clean rooms, friendly staff, and free breakfast daily. We rented a car from Avis for the 7 days we were there. We did a lot of shore diving with DiveTech out of their new location on Lighthouse Pointe. This is a great dive site and so varied with depth, mini wall, deep wall, and sand patch, you can do several dives from morning till night and enjoy it every time. $5.00 tanks, air or Nitrox, and a little surcharge of $3.00 for a 100 cu ft . tank. Totally worth it, and staff, and set up area is first class. We did a two tank boat dive of the North Wall with Dive Tech and I just can not say enough about how well staffed the boat is and how they let you dive your profile ( with computer), no pressure, no babysitting. There was a new diver on the boat and there were a few low whispers amongst the staff and they assigned one fo the divemasters to him to keep him safe on the deepest part of the North wall. I was so impressed with their subtle approach to making sure that EVERYONE had a good time and everyone dove they way they wanted to. Safety first, no doubt about it. After the boat dive they let us off back at Cobalt Coast Divetech location and we rinsed our gear in their large rinse tanks, hung our stuff up on the convenient hooks, and then sat down for an excellent lunch pool side. I even took a dip in the pool while I waited for my lunch. Great service, great food, at a fair price. We will definitely stay with Cobalt on our next trip to Cayman. The service, the convenience, the shore diving, the value, is just perfect for us.
The first day we were there we shore dove Devil's Grotto with Eden Rock. Great dive and worth the time. We said later we should have stayed and done a second dive. We dove Sunset House for two shore dives one day and it was nice to have lunch during the surface interval. Word of caution you only get one refill per tea or soft drink order and then they charge you again. Order water along with your beverage and you can refill it yourself with the large cooler of water on the deck, easily accessible. Staff was warm but not overly friendly. Dive staff at the shop were great but busy. We did the Stingray City dive with them and it was worth the trip. Cathy Church's photo rep came with us on the trip and I got some great photos with the Stingray and Moray Eel. You must visit their shop it is packed with cameras and accessories at great prices and even say hello to Sparky the African Grey Parrot!
One day we drove down to Bodden Town, took pictures of the blow holes, went to the Botanic Garden ( go early!, it's hot!) and then drove to Over the Edge restaurant, great food and great prices. We then made a drive to Kaibo and Rum point, very nice very ritzy area. it's nice to see the expensive homes, but everything on the island seems to be for sale these days.

Well that's about it. We love Cayman and will definitely go back again soon.

Thnx for the report

Thanks for sharing! Have only been once and dove East End (plus SRC), sounds like Divetech
did you right.

have you taken the trip from the airport to the hotel by taxi or did you arrange for transportation in advance when booking? this is our first trip there other than a stop for a day on a cruise
thanks in advance

We arranged our rental car with avis ahead of time. You can just get a cart, pile your bags on it and then walk across the street from the airport to the rental car lot. It's really close and very easy to do. We have also rented with Andy's rental cars and they are great as well.

Thanks for the report and it gets me excited. Leaving for Grand Cayman on Thursday and staying at Sunset House. Your remark about service at My Bar reminds me of the last time I was there. Service was definitely not a strong point for the wait staff but the food and atmosphere was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom