Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, this is exactly how it was when I spotted it as I was surfacing. It was there just long enough for me to aim the camera and click the shutter -- and then it was gone. I had no idea that they lose years of their lives when they blow up. How did you learn that?

I've heard thru DMs---& island folks, had a house on Roatan for 14 years & visted 2-3X a year, they sometimes die after blowing up.....Have no idea if true or not but that thought process is out there....

Last edited:
I've heard thru DMs---& island folks, had a house on Roatan for 14 years & visted 2-3X a year, they sometimes die after blowing up.....Have no idea if true or not but that thought process is out there....

A few years back I was diving with "Cayman Marine Labs" not sure if it is still around today. The guy that ran it was a PHD in marine biology. He was very eco-friendly and would give a little marine biology class before each dive. One comment he made was to this point. He said it would be a really bad defense mechanism if puffing up would cause their death. I personally am not in favor of harassing nor do I think he was any of the marine life. I will say that his comment made a lot of since to me.

Out for a stroll on LC, 2011 P8160683.jpg

Any LC or Brac divers ever see this little guy before? He's tagged and someone spent a lot of time patching his carapace.

---------- Post Merged at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:45 PM ----------

I love the blue-tipped anemones off LC.

Attachments

• P5300154.jpg
    P5300154.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 83
  • P5290129.jpg
    P5290129.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
Well, I'm back from some heaving diving in the Indo-Pacific (Wakatobi). Since I've seen a Cayman dive resort advertising that included some pacific species in them, that means I can sneak in some clownfish pics here...right? :wink:

In the theme of 'politically incorrect' puffed puffers ...

puffer3.jpg

Nikonos V & 15mm WA.
I'm not sure the year anymore, but before 2000.

The backstory is that the diveshop had a new/young local DM working for them and on this dive he grabbed a puffer and was swimming around from buddy team to buddy team to show the puffer to everyone. Since I had a camera, I was able to convince him to "give" the puffer to me to take a photo ... I took a few shots and as soon as he turned his back, I pushed Mr. Puff down into a crevice in the coral so that he could escape.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom