CEJN inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there an accepted DIR position/opinion on CEJN, particularly for drysuit inflation?

I was recently told (in a friendly fashion) that the CEJN inflator hose and valve fitting that come with my drysuit are non-standard and I would benefit from getting them switched to a standard schraeder setup. I've actually run into a few minor situations where I've lent my regs out or borrowed a reg set and realized that the drysuit hose would need to be swapped. So far it's just a bit of a pre-dive annoyance.

Also, while we're on the subject, I do like the severely restricted flow of the CEJN fitting on my drysuit, and if I were to replace this with a "standard" fitting, is there any reason not to look for a restricted flow version?

Is there an accepted DIR position/opinion on CEJN, particularly for drysuit inflation?

I was recently told (in a friendly fashion) that the CEJN inflator hose and valve fitting that come with my drysuit are non-standard and I would benefit from getting them switched to a standard schraeder setup. I've actually run into a few minor situations where I've lent my regs out or borrowed a reg set and realized that the drysuit hose would need to be swapped. So far it's just a bit of a pre-dive annoyance.

Also, while we're on the subject, I do like the severely restricted flow of the CEJN fitting on my drysuit, and if I were to replace this with a "standard" fitting, is there any reason not to look for a restricted flow version?

One of the issues with the CEJN fitting is that it's possible to cause it to freeflow when not attached. The design is not great.

It is much better to just use the standard fitting.

HTH

John

When you need to replace the hose in a remote location the standard is much easier too. The CEJN's are also gawd aweful expensive.

Sounds like I'm going to switch out to a standard valve when I go argon. Thanks.

Is there an option on the standard valves for restricted airflow? Any foreseeable problems with such?

Standard fittings aren't that high flow. If it runs away, you can disconnect it fairly easily. If it fails open in a manner that is a real risk, you have numerous options, including simply pulling open your neck valve and dumping gas faster than the hose can feed.

Is there an option on the standard valves for restricted airflow? Any foreseeable problems with such?

The hose really doesn't have anything to do with freeflows. The center shrader pin gets depressed and its "open" thats all there is to it. Suit valves almost never fail open leading to your suit michelin manning. In my experience valves first leak substantial water when depressed - enough water that you'll be replacing the valve's little o-rings pronto. You still need an OPV on any reg supplying the suit tho. Either a 2nd stage or an OPV installed in a reg port.

I'm not so much worried about freeflows, I've just gotten quite accustomed to the easy fine-tuning of squeeze that a restricted flow valve (you're right, the restriction is on the inlet of the drysuit valve, not the hose) gives me, and was wondering if that's available in schrader. It's not a dealbreaker by a long shot, I think I'd much prefer having standardized connections on my gear.

The difference in flow between a standard fitting and CJEN will not in any way affect your ability to fine tune your bouyancy. Your breathing will influence it much more.

I should have mentioned above that I have never seen a standard fitting fail open on a suit because like rjack said they start leaking long before that. The only ones I have ever seen fail open on a wing had been problematic and leaking for a very long time before finally going.

The only ones I have ever seen fail open on a wing had been problematic and leaking for a very long time before finally going.

Yeah for all the press on the H stainless inflators there is only one I'm aware of that was a "stomp on the button" kinda failure. And that was due to a detuned 2nd stage not acting as an OPV when the IP when kaplooy on a diaphram reg. Most have "failed" by leaking so slowly you barely realize it but seem to be venting every few mins to stay neutral even when you haven't moved. Basically how plastic (wing) inflators fail.

Suit inflators are generally pretty slow. If its not slow enough, you can detune your argon reg and slow it down a touch more.

Rather than replace the valve you can just unscrew the nipple connector and replace it. Costs about 10p.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom