Cenote Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluecrystal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Lucas

I would definitely recommend that you go to the Cenotes for a Cavern dive. Start with Dos Ojos and if you like this cavern, go to dive in many others as they are all different.

I would have recommended that you go with Stefano Pedroni as he was the best cavern guide there, but he has now left Mexico. I would go with someone who speaks your language as the information about the caverns and formations is very interesting.

Bahia Principe has a dive shop which has just been taken over for the second time in 5 years but the great Manager (Sebastian) is still the same.They will offer you dives in the ocean directly from the hotel and also Cenote and Cozumel leaving directly from the hotel by van which may be convenient for you if you are staying at the hotel.

The people that bought Bahia Divers (Stefano Pedroni's Dive centre) are Spanish and offer a really great service. Much more personable than a hotel dive store...you can reach them at their website www.bahiadivers.com They also do ocean diving and cozumel...

I would also recommend you do the 2 tank dive trip to Cozumel as the diving there is so much better than the local reef diving which is always enjoyable but nothing special on a worldwide level.

Hope this helps and have a great trip

Crystal

Lumen001:
Hello
I'll probably go to the Bahia Principe Akhumal in sept or october 2009 for the third time (sept 2003 and sept 2004) but this is going to be for the 1st time as a diver .
I'am AOWD, 63 dives recorded in my log book since 1 year and 3 month...
I'm studying to become soon Rescue Diver too
Any comments refferences suggestions comment for me in order to live the best experience possible please ?

Lucas
El salsero y el buso de Bromont Quebec Canada

Agree with the above.

Cozemel was 10 times better than the coast (Carmen/Maya). Different world.

Also - Cavern diving is cool, take mossie repellent though as Dos Ojos was swarming, and I mean swarming. Skin exposed for 30 seconds would have mosquitos diving in. We found by asking our receptionist to phone a company direct for us we could save around $100 dollars on cavern diving. You get exactly the same service but all of the hotels and tour companies charge a big commission if you go through them.

Also - go to Holbox and dive with the whalesharks and dolphins. Just turn up at the dock in Holbox on the morning with a bit of money and haggle your way on to a boat. They all provide exactly the same service, you will see what I mean when your out there. Demand at least two swims per trip though. Sometimes the guide will try and give you just one swim each, but if you argue they will give in : )

Mexico is awesome. Paradise. Cozemel is up there with the red sea. Oh yeah, one last thing. Cozemel dive sites are sometimes busy in the morning. We went out after lunch once and we were the only boat though. All the life had come out due to the peace and quiet : )

Enjoy

cozumel is great but try to dive further out if you want less busy. I agree about holbox but it is seasonal so check when the whalesharks are there!!

Back
Top Bottom