cenote temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need a quick reply. What's the normal temp in caves/cenotes around Playa Del Carmen. I leave in the morning and I have to decide which wetsuit to take.

Hey Dave,

Expect temps to be around 73-75 degrees. Beneath the halocline it is obvioulsy a bit warmer. I found being in a 5mm suit with my drysuit hood was plenty.
And that was doing dives that were exceding 2 hours.

Have fun!!!

tp

toodles:
Hey Dave,

Expect temps to be around 73-75 degrees. Beneath the halocline it is obvioulsy a bit warmer. I found being in a 5mm suit with my drysuit hood was plenty.
And that was doing 2 hour plus dives.

Have fun!!!

tp
OK I am trying to decide between a 7mm whites ADS and a 3mm shorty. Trying to keep space to a minimum. Which do you think would work for me?

wedivebc:
OK I am trying to decide between a 7mm whites ADS and a 3mm shorty. Trying to keep space to a minimum. Which do you think would work for me?

A shorty is not enough. Temps are 75-76 with variations in and out of the Halocline. I use a drysuit with 200g down there. I am prone to getting cold, but when I did use a wetsuit down there a 7mm was the min and you still get cold on longer dives. 3mm only works for one or two shorter dives. For a week, your body core gets too cold.

Dave,

Go with the 7mm. You will be much more comfy, even if you do shorter dives.

I am looking forward to your trip report when you arrive back.

thanks for the info guys. 7mm going with me. Look for trip report in a couple of weeks.

Just got back from the Yucatan diving cenotes. I wore a 1mm suit for the entire trip, almost two weeks. I only felt a little bit chilled on the last dive when I was in the water for probably two hours.

Of course, I live in Maine and dive wet all year round.

I would say a 3mm shorty would do you well. A 3mm full suit would absolutely do it.

No one on out expedition dove a 7mm as far as I know.

Jeff

Update! I am just about to leave for dive 7 and I´m glad I brought the 7mm

Looking forward to your trip report, have fun buddy.

Cheers

Al

Hyper-limits:
Looking forward to your trip report, have fun buddy.

Cheers

Al
Did Cozumel today but back to the caves tomorrow. Taj Mahal will be the dive site. We're having a blast. I got some great cave pics too.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom