Cenotes and reef dives near Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbskas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in Playa the middle of January I only have 2-3 days to dive and am looking for advise on the best cenotes and reefs and dive shop. We are experienced divers nitrox certified but its been 2 years since I've been diving. So probably not too deep or wild this time.

Thanks for any help TBSKAS

Are you going to be in PDC proper, or somewhere along the Riviera Maya? That will make a difference on what recommendations you might get.

"Best" reef (or cenote) is going to be highly subjective, and the shop is generally going to take the boat to whatever site they want anyway, based on numerous factors (sometimes diver preference is one of them, but there are others, both pragmatic and self-motivated).
Being comfortable and having good buoyancy skills are considerably more important in a cave/cavern environment than they are in the open ocean, so unless you're sure you are good-to-go, it might be best to get re-oriented with an ocean dive before doing a cenote dive.
As for cenote dives, if there's an option, I'd try to check out Dos Ojos, if they do the dive from down in the Bat Cave (just being in there is an experience in itself !)
Car Wash is another good one, that i recall being very entry-freindly. But, you may not find a group going to either of these, and just like with the boat dives, you may have to go with the flow (which ain't a big deal, it'll be amazing no matter where they take you. And if the ocean conditions are really gnarly, hell, I do nothing but cenote dives !!)

Are you going to be in PDC proper, or somewhere along the Riviera Maya? That will make a difference on what recommendations you might get.
We are staying in playa but will have a car and will be driving around exploring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom