Central Fl, Crystal River area dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich5711

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, I'm headed down to my parents place next weekend in Inverness. I've been thinking about checking out a few spots like Devils Den/Blue Grotto and Manatee Springs. I haven't done any diving in the area (just the Keys). I did do the manatee snorkel with American Pro and had a great time (still had a broken fibrula from a motorcycle accident so diving was too painful an endeavor).

My preliminary plan is to hit up Devils Den and then Blue Grotto on day 1 then go do a tour with American Pro in Manatee Springs on day 2. From what I can get through my research here, it seems like I can do without a giude at the Den/Grotto dives (correct me if I'm wrong).

We both have all our own equipment so I just need tanks for day 1. Looks like it would be cost effective to rent tanks at a shop then get fills on site.

Are there air fills available at Blue Grotto?

I'm about 2 check boxes from DM and my GF is a very comfortable OW diver.

I'm open to any suggestions/advice/points of interest etc anyone may have.

-Rich

We just did Blue Grotto a few weekends ago. They have air fills on site. You should definitely make sure you've got lights with you, parts of the grotto are dark down deep.

Rainbow River was a relaxing drift dive as well. Average depth was about 8', but it's a good no stress day.

Devils Den claims to rent gear and fill tanks as well.

Price List

Sweet, definately bringing lights. Any particular time of day better for devils/grotto?

Go early, if you like it you can dive it again! Either place is fun for a couple of dives but they do get old.
Both pump air, I don't know about gear rentals.
see you topside! John

i think I might have to consider both/either one... would depend on avail time off and if they have any avail RV spots. Not sure who else might go up with since the RV sleeps 5 adults (technically sleeps 8 but i'm not sharing!)

We did it last year as a two night trip ...drive up at night, manatees in the morning and Rainbow River in the afternoon. Next day we did Blue Grotto in the morn, Devil's Den in the afternoon and drove home. All were good trips. Don't be shy about checking your fills before you leave the shop at Devil's Den...

Don't get air fills at Blue Grotto. They charge a stupid price for air, and a ludicrous price for Nitrox. Rent tanks at a local dive shop, get the fills there. You can rent 6 tanks with air in them cheaper than you can fill 3 tanks at Blue Grotto

Don't get air fills at Blue Grotto. They charge a stupid price for air, and a ludicrous price for Nitrox. Rent tanks at a local dive shop, get the fills there. You can rent 6 tanks with air in them cheaper than you can fill 3 tanks at Blue Grotto

Good to know. Looks like $8 a fill at Devils Den. I'll probably bring two tanks each then refill them there before I head to Blue Grotto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom