Certified but it wasn't as easy as I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I completed our cert dives at the Blue Hole in NM this past weekend. Yay! Unfortunately the experience was not as rosy and fun as I thought it would be. I actually had a panic attack underwater and I want to post about it for the potential benefit of others, and despite potential great embarassment to myself (I'm willing to risk it).

My first 'problem' was with the water temperature. The water was so cold (61F, I know some of you are already saying "wimp" under your breath) that every time we submerged my chest was hitching and I couldn't breathe right for a few seconds. I pretty much felt that I couldn't take a full breath the whole time I was underwater - I think this was due to a poorly fitted wetsuit. This feeling of restricted breathing did not really help my anxiety level. But the first dive went flawlessly, and I was actually very comfortable during the entire dive.

The problems started on dive 2. When we got down to 35 feet my mask sprung a leak. I cleared it, but it kept flooding. I cleared it again, then a third time, but then I made a big mistake.

When I'm underwater I have to really concentrate on my breathing because I'm a nose breather. When I'm not consciously focusing on my breathing, I keep trying to breath in through my nose, which usually works out since as long as the mask was sealed and there wasn't any water in it, nothing bad happened. Well unfortunately this time there was plenty of water - and on what was going to be my fourth clearing attempt I inhaled a nice big noseful of it.

I started coughing and choking, which is no big deal, I did a lot of that in the pool and was always fine with just coughing into my regulator until I was good again. But this time, it is not that easy. All the while my mask is still flooding, and as I'm coughing and gasping I keep sucking little bits of water in through my nose. At this point the panic is starting to set in, and I begin hyperventilating. I consciously try to regain control of my breathing, but it isn't working. I feel like I can't breathe, specifically that I can't exhale. I decide I need to go up, NOW.

My instructor grabs me to try and keep me down there but that just pushes me into full panic mode. I really, really want to get up to the surface and she's holding me down! I keep kicking towards the surface and eventually she goes up with me, making sure to keep me from going up too fast. Whatever these guys and gals get paid to put up with people like me, it's not enough.

I do a fairly normal ascent, remembering the superman, remembering to let air out of my bcd, and I'm swimming up rather than riding the BCD... all the while unable to breathe properly and unable to see very well. All I can think about as I'm going up, besides the fact that I can't breathe, is that I'm going to rupture a lung and kill myself. I remember to keep my airway open even though my breathing is way out of control, and when I finally get to the surface I let out the most massive (volume-wise) belch of my entire life. I must have been swallowing air instead of breathing it at some point. :shakehead Another instructor has me swim over the ledge where I join another student who had just done basically the same thing. We sit in the dunce corner until the instructors think we are calm enough to go back out.

The whole experience scared the crap out of me. Up until that point I had been totally comfortable in the water. I never had any trouble in the pool sessions, never felt panicky or out of breath even through the 1st cert dive. But once that water went down my nose unexpectedly and I started hyperventilating when I couldn't solve all the problems I was having, I got to experience true panic for the first time in my life.

It sucked. Bigtime. I was totally caught by surprise, since I had been so comfortable up to that point. It was very difficult to convince myself to go back down and finish the skills for dive 2, but I managed it. I then promptly repeated the incident, sucking water into my nose and hyperventilating. This time I keep better composure even though I still feel like I can't breathe. My instructor holds me in place and gives me the signal to breathe slowly. I keep trying to control my breathing but it doesn't work. I signal that I want to go up, she says no. Alright fine, I'll keep trying dammit. We spend probably a minute down there, she's trying to calm me down and I'm trying to calm down with every fiber in my being. Not working. I tell her again I want to go up. She nods her head and I think "She knows I want to go up but she wants me to keep trying". So I stay another 30 seconds trying to get my breathing back under control. Not working. I tell her again that I want to go up, and she nods again. This time I realize she's saying "OK go ahead". So I start up, doing a perfectly normal slow ascent up from 35 feet. I am praised for my ascent, actually - they say I did a fantastic job considering the state of mind I was in.

At this point I am ready to quit. What is going on? Why am I having all these problems all of a sudden? WHY CAN'T I BREATHE? :(

At least this time I managed to clear the mask and complete the skill before I lost it, so I don't have to do that again. I go back down to 35 feet, for the 3rd time on 1 dive, and finish the remaining skills. We get out of the water and I am really depressed. This was not how I wanted to end the day.

The next day, I was terrified that I was going to repeat the incident when we had to do the full flood & clear again, AND do the mask removal. As soon as we went down for dive 3, I actually hung on the platform at 35 feet working on my breathing with my eyes closed, feeling like a scared little puppy - my anxiety at the upcoming skill test was getting my breathing out of whack again and I had to force myself to breathe normally. My instructor had me do a hover via manual inflation (no problem) then asked me to flood and clear. I shook my head, no way. I wasn't ready. That was probably the lowest point of the weekend for me. I felt like such a failure. She gave me the OK and moved to the next student. I sat, breathed, and screwed up my courage. I wasn't scared of doing the clear itself, I was scared setting off the chain reaction again. Once I start coughing, I can't stop myself from trying to breathe through my nose, and it just gets worse from there.

I didn't quit, though. I just kept focusing on my breathing, watching the other people do their skills. I saw another girl in my class do the same thing I had done the day before - she inhaled a bunch of water and started choking like crazy, with her mask still full of water. This was exactly what I was afraid of doing. Then I watched her fix the problem... she just pinched her nose shut and regained control of her breathing within a couple of breaths.

Eureka!

For some stupid reason I had never thought of that. So simple - when things go wrong and I can't focus on not breathing through my nose and compounding the problem, all I have to do is pinch it shut and hold my regulator in while I cough my brains out. Armed with this amazing new technique, I was ready to try another clear.

Well the rest of the story is pretty boring (much like everything else up to this point for a lot of you, I suppose). I finished the skills, used the nose pinch to save myself when I did suck some water in a little bit later, and came out of dive 3 with new confidence. Dive 4 went without a hitch and we got to do some fun touring and swimming around the Blue Hole, playing with the crawdads, and for the first time since dive 1 I was actually enjoying myself. Out of the water for dive 4 and that's it, I'm done. I'm a diver. :D

(Notice I did not say I was a GOOD diver.)

I still have a lot to work on, and a new respect for the calm it requires to solve problems at 40 feet. My instructor says I will be a better diver having gone through what I did during dive 2, and although at the time it sounded like a false reassurance, perhaps she's right. I certainly would not have wanted to go through that experience away from a level headed mentor, and it taught me that panic is the real danger. Hopefully, having gone through this experience, I will be able to keep my cool a lot better the next time I run into a bad situation underwater.

you did well to do a controlled ascent so don't beat yourself up too much :). Your instructor is right- better to freak out and deal with it while training than when you are out by yourself- it means you understand how you feel when you panic and you can get used to that feeling and control it.

Always remember to try and stay calm and deal with the probelm at depth rather than bolting. Panic is a funny thing though- I've had the urge to take the reg out of my mouth a breath a nice deep lungful of water when I've felt like I wasn't getting enough air!:confused:

If I were you, I'd take a few more dives with an instructor until I was feeling more confident. Just to be safe. Certified doesn't mean safe :).

I feel sorry for you diving wet, too. I've been to BH once and I was in a toasty warm dry suit :)

Good luck :D

Congrats! And way to go by getting back up on that horse! My first OW was a bit of an experience too, (I went rocketing to the surface b/c I was inflating my BC when I thought I was purging it) and I went home and cried my eyes out since I had myself so psyched up that it was going to be "so easy". The next day was a million times better for me and all dives since have been great! Just learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward!!!

This is the kind of stuff that I love about this board. When I read the part about your eureka moment watching the other diver pinch her nose - that's what this board is all about, if you ask me. Experiencing, learning, and sharing. Now I have another tool in the toolbox, too! Thanks, and good luck!

Don't pinch your nose--it's a crutch and will lead to serious issues later on if you can't breathe underwater without pinching your nose.

I posted this in several other threads...hope this helps. Your problem is that you can't breathe underwater with water around your face. These drills will help cure you of this problem (especially if done before each dive) and will help you relax before dropping down. They'll also turn on the mammalian diving reflex, slow down your system, and help you prepare for cooler water.

SparticleBrane:
Personally I take a different approach from what was recommended of keeping your eyes closed.

If you want to increase your comfort in the water, especially in your "no mask" situation, there's something I can recommend to help.

In our basic scuba course we are taught (within the first day or so of starting skin diving) "exhalation drills" or "cold water treatment" depending on who is teaching. They are the same thing, just a different name.

To start off, hop into a pool and hang on the side. Take a breath and slowly submerge yourself while hanging on. LEAVE YOUR EYES OPEN! Then, slowly exhale while your eyes are open. This helps to get your body used to the chill of the water, slows down your metabolism, and generally prepares you for the colder water. Repeat this several times until you can perform the drill COMFORTABLY.

While on skin diving the exhalation drills are expanded somewhat. With your eyes open and your snorkel in (it helps to have your mask on the back of your head), inhale through your snorkel and exhale through your mouth. Then inhale through your snorkel and exhale through your nose. Alternate several times.

On scuba, it's again expanded. At the beginning of class we would leave our scuba rigs on the side of the pool with our regulators dangling over the edge. Drop down, exhale to clear a reg, and start breathing. Again, no mask on--with your eyes open. First reg breathe in and out through the regulator. After 5 slow and relaxed breath cycles, switch to your other second stage. Exhale into it to clear (as always) and then inhale through the reg and exhale through your nose. As always keep your eyes open. After 5 slow and relaxed breath cycles, remove the regulator and ascend. Remember to exhale on the way up, even if it's only 3-4 feet down in the pool!!
If you're in a quarry or otherwise "open water" condition, the scuba exhalation drills can be modified somewhat. Mask on the back of your head, put your reg in, and dunk your face in the water. Perform the exhalation drill as previously stated (5 breaths with eyes open, switch regs, another 5 breaths, etc).
Diving in Fantasy Lake is sometimes a chilling experience, especially in the off season. However, doing exhalation drills before you ever submerge, while uncomfortable, will help you to slow down and relax and you'll feel more comfortable in the water. Imagine what would happen if you were ~30ish ft down at Fantasy Lake and someone kicks off your mask in 55-degree water and you hadn't done exhalation drills. You probably wouldn't be able to breathe. Trust me when I say that doing this before you ever drop down in any kind of chilly water is truly worth the extra few seconds!

Note that doing this in a pool, especially at first, will feel very uncomfortable. The sensation of water around your eyes won't be great and the chlorine in the water will hurt. If you do this ever day, for the first few days your eyes will probably be slightly bloodshot and dry for a while afterwards. After a bit your eyes will get used to the chlorine. Same with salt water, it will sting!
If necessary it might benefit you to tilt your head to one side while exhaling if the bubbles interfere with your eyes.

The reason for us having to do exhalation drills every time we get in the water is that they are one of the most basic, yet important skills that is taught. I believe in earlier posts you mentioned that you had problems underwater when your mask was not on. That is the goal of this drill--to help keep you calm in a situation such as that. If you were 100ft underwater and someone kicked off your mask and you suddenly can't breathe--that's a serious problem. You have to be able to keep your eyes open and stay calm without a mask on while underwater!

Hope this helps--happy diving!

I don't think you're a whimp at all. I know all to well the unreasonable fear that causes panic to set in. I'm a tad claustrophibic, it was something I was (thankfully) able to overcome for the most part on my first pool dive, but it wasn't until around dive 7 (my last dive) that I realized I'd fully overcome it. It kind of happened on it's own.

The mask removal was a special kind of hell for me. I started shaking my head "no" and couldn't breathe right (I never thought about pinching my nose either). It took everything I had within me not to bolt to the survace, eyes closed and all. But I made it through it, and I fully intend on practicing the skill more, until I lose the fear. Maybe pinching the nose will work! :)

paradicio:
I don't think you're a whimp at all. I know all to well the unreasonable fear that causes panic to set in. I'm a tad claustrophibic, it was something I was (thankfully) able to overcome for the most part on my first pool dive, but it wasn't until around dive 7 (my last dive) that I realized I'd fully overcome it. It kind of happened on it's own.

The mask removal was a special kind of hell for me. I started shaking my head "no" and couldn't breathe right (I never thought about pinching my nose either). It took everything I had within me not to bolt to the survace, eyes closed and all. But I made it through it, and I fully intend on practicing the skill more, until I lose the fear. Maybe pinching the nose will work! :)
Read my above quote, do the drills I suggest, and you'll never have issues taking your mask off and breathing underwater, again.

Stop pinching your nose...it's just a crutch. You should be able to comfortably breathe underwater with your eyes open and no mask on...otherwise, if that mask ever comes off, you'll be in a world of hurt.

Yep, I posted mine before I saw yours. Totally makes sense to me, and I prefer to not have a crutch! :)

I agree with your instructor - you will be a better diver for that experience. Good for you for keeping on trying and thank you for sharing your experience. A friend of mine who is a pilot told me that when you have a problem in a plane the first instinct is to make a landing - but the safest place to sort out your problem is in the air. I've always felt the same applies to most situations under water. Our instinct is to head for the surface, but nine times out of ten we are better sorting out the problem underwater first.

noobascooba - Good advice. For our upcoming trip we've got a private boat for just 4 divers. Our friends (the other 2 divers) are experienced and won't need any hand holding. I'm going to make sure the DM knows my wife and I are BRAND NEW and he needs to keep a close eye on us. Our first day we are doing 25 foot dives in the shallows. Taking it slow.

sambolino - That's exactly why I posted it. :wink:

Sparticle - I agree, it's a crutch, but one I need for now. I don't pinch my nose every time my nose hits water, only when I start coughing and can't focus on not breathing through my nose. I know I need to work on it. We're going to the rec center pool this weekend to practice swimming with just a snorkel and no mask. I think that will help. I can't really do the exact exercises you mentioned during scuba dives, because I wear contacts. Maybe I need to look into a prescription mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom