Certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Third check dive went quite well. Check-dives done. We got 50 minutes BT in. 2 hours 5 minutes accumulated BT. I saw all the great sites the J.C. Morrison (local wreck ~27 FFW) has to offer. That's not sarcastic at all... :wink: Although I did stir up the bottom a few times, closer to the shore. Damn silt. I was also able to equalize with no problems! Yay! :D Pre-equalized at the surface and basically the whole way down with my hand on my nose. Early and often, early and often. I am actually pretty happy with the dive, it was quite fun. Vis was at best 6-8 feet. I only needed a shorty 5 mil. Still need some work on my buoyancy. Can't wait to get out to BC. The ocean is calling me.

Now this will probably cause all sorts of discussions, but my instructor didn't do my last two check dives, he had some experienced divers he knew do them with me. They chose the sites. I don't really know whether or not that's an acceptable practice, but I performed my skills well and got in some enough BT to be certified. I have a feeling that's not common within ACUC classes though. Here's another thing, which in fact I find pretty alarming. I was never taught any practical navigational skills, only what was out of the text book, which didn't really explain all that much. I've never really used a compass properly before, and I have a vague knowledge of how to operate one now. That seems to be a serious issue to me, which I think I'll bring up with my instructor. However, when I go diving with my brother next week out in BC, he'll be able to teach me. He's nearly a Master Diver, one of his specialty classes was Advanced Navigation, so I'll be as far as my own knowledge goes. Just makes me wonder though, what else did he not teach me?

Well, congratulations from another recently certified diver!

I don't think your perceptions of the shortcomings of an OW cert course are unique. At the end of mine, I felt like I had the absolute minimum skills necessary to avoid killing myself instantly in the water, and little more :) I certainly didn't have adequate navigation skills; buoyancy was mostly a mystery, and my skills at propulsion through the water were primitive at best. I didn't understand how to plan a dive (despite hearing repeatedly "plan your dive and dive your plan"). I didn't know how to read tide tables or current charts, or anything about gas management.

OW is a minimal course. There is much more to learn. Happily, there are people who (either for money or for the love of the sport, if you are lucky) will continue to teach you, to fill in the holes. There are also wonderful written resources, and I cannot highly enough recommend The Certified Diver's Handbook , which I am currently reading.

And it's clear to me that one of the keys is to get out there and DIVE. And have fun doing it.

Were they instructor certified. It is a requirement all checkout dives are done by instructors. PADI has cancelled certs for this type of practice as mentioned in Scuba Diving Mag. This was after the questioneer the divers disclosed that their instructor didn't do the final check out dives. If PADI isn't aware a non instructor trained you then they wont know to with hold certs.

You should be OK but instructors are required to do the checkout dives and skills training.

I see you cert was through ACUC and not PADI ? I have not heard of ACUC so I don't know their standards so the above message possibly can be ignored.

Congratulations!

The ACUC OPEN WATER DIVER Curriculum and Standards can be found at the following link and answers both concerns you mentioned. http://www.acuc.es/standowd.pdf
(According to that, navigation is not a required checkout dive skill.)

I see. Well thanks for the info, I still don't really agree with that but I'll just learn navigation on my own. On a lighter note, I'll be in the Pacific this time tomorrow. Can't wait. yeah, I didn't set that counter correctly and frankly I don't care to change it right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom