Chac Mool Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luft

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back yesterday from Mexico and did a 2 tank dive in Chac Mool. The water was almost 80 degrees and the visibility was incredible! Our first dive led us into a very tight cavern, about 3 to 4 feet from top to bottom and no light in front or behind for about 7 or 8 minutes. Then we hit the Halocline, where fresh water and salt water mix, kinda like a thermocline but far more "wavy", like diving in baby oil, made for lousy vis. Eventually we were led to a sign with a picture of the grim reaper on it saying "go no farther, preserve your life, over 300 divers have died in these caverns" Nice touch! We went out of Cancun with Scuba Cancun, great guys especially Arturo, Dive Master and Caset, Videographer. Caset, spelled wrong, followed us for 3 days diving reefs in Cancun and Cozumel and the Cenotes and video taped us and burned everything to DVD's for only $75.00 each! Any worries about claustrophobia, don't go. Great dive, don't miss out.

Met Ben on my last day, at least I think it was him, British accent and wore a Suunto Stinger, seemed really nice. Have a look at the pics I posted of Chac mool, were you there as well?

luft:
Our first dive led us into a very tight cavern, about 3 to 4 feet from top to bottom and no light in front or behind for about 7 or 8 minutes.

That would be called a cave. Caverns are illuminated by daylight.

Yep, that's the guy. No, I didn't do any cenotes with them. I had gotten my certification through them. Ben is a great instructor! I've had three now and he was by far the best.

I was planning on diving with them this past Nov., until Wilma wiped out our trip. Looks like we won't be going back this year. Too bad, I love Cancun!

luft:
I agree, It felt really good when I could see the light!

I bet. You should see the gear and training you should have had.

Check out my profile, I have picture taken in one of the Cenotes with a similar sign! I don't remember if it was Chac Mool or another one...

JimC:
I bet. You should see the gear and training you should have had.

LOL! JimC, I think your comment may be lost on it's intended recipient.

Yup, you should never ever ever be in a situation where you are 7 - 8 minutes without any natural light available to you even when you look back. That would be a cave dive, not a cavern dive

Dennis

fracchiam:
Check out my profile, I have picture taken in one of the Cenotes with a similar sign! I don't remember if it was Chac Mool or another one...

That's the sign in Taj Mahal. One of the finest cavern dives you could ever do... IMHO :wink:

Dennis

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom