Chain Store v. Small Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy shopping on the internet if I know exactly what I want and size, color, and fit are not an issue. Prices can be very good, especially since they don't include shipping or taxes.

For certain items like backplates and wings I call the manufacturer directly. They can usually give me a pretty good price, but where they really shine is in product knowledge.

When I go to a chain store, I know that I will be greeted by an indifferent clerk who will have no knowledge or interest in Scuba or in the products they carry. I know that they won't be able, or willing, to give me any help, answer any questions, or provide any service. I know that they will carry a larger stock of some selected items, but those items will tend to be glitzy plastic consumer junk with lots of bling. But ... they may carry good dive watches.

When I go to my LDS, I will be greeted as a friend and the counter guy will come out to the parking lot to help carry my tanks in. They will be able to answer any questions and provide any service I need. My wife and I can try on wetsuits, drysuits, gloves, booties, masks, and fins and buy or order what we need. The owner and his staff can advise us on what products work best based on their own personal experience, they will give me the real scoop about the latest local diving issues, and then we can chat about our next trip to Fiji together.

I buy scuba equipment online and at my LDS. I won't apologize to anyone where I spend my money. To be honest, my LDS has never said a word about where I bought something and I appreciate that. If they started to give me grief I would be gone forever. Having said that, I spend lot's of money with my LDS and get everything serviced there.

I guess one other thing that probably needs clarifying is, what is a chain store vs. an LDS.

The store I mentioned in a previous post is actually a chain store, but they're a far cry from a big box store. I think they have about 6 to 8 outlets and most of those are about 1 to 2 thousand square feet inside, including the shop area. One thing I notice about these stores is that there is often high turnover and the quality of the personnel varies a LOT. When they have people working that I either like or respect they get my business. When they don't, I go somewhere else.

I don't think there's any inherent benefit. Some small shops will cut you deals, some small shops will be operated by honest/good people that you want to do business with etc. Even though these types of small shops exist, none of the aforementioned characteristics are implicit in the small LDS model so, again, there isn't necessarily any benefit.

What I like about my LDS, I can try out any item I want to see if it matches my need. I recently was in need of new dive computer. The brands they carry did not meet my needs so I purchased one on-line. They have no problems when I buy somewhere else, however, the on-line retailers are a little more difficult to get air fills and if I want to try somrthing it is not as convenient. I have dived four different tanks to determine what meets my need. My LDS is not only my shop, they have become my instructors and dive buddies. Certainly they are a tiny part-time shop since MT is such a small dive area, however they provide great service and lots if information. Unfortunately thsy are unable to provide all the different manufacturers since they are small.

I have been diving for almost 2 years now and I have visited many dive shops in that 2 years...I am just curious as to what the benefit is to going to small independent dive shops as apposed to going to a "big box store"... I know that it is nice to be able to support the little guy, but in this economy I can't see paying up to 70% more at a small dive shop for the same item or service that I can get at a large dive store. For example, I called a small dive shop in the area to get a price for VIP on a tank, they told me $25, the large chain store was $15....To me it seems like simple math. Maybe I am wrong.

Dude..
you're local. Support your shops and they will take care of you.

One other thing I like about LDS's is that they often have very experienced divers with different points of view than what you might get on the internet. Sure, some of them are salesmen and can't quite be trusted, but others are quite honest.

Being able to talk with someone who's done hundreds of dives in the local area and has learned from experience what works and what doesn't is a big plus. That's the kind of person you want there when you're buying unfamiliar equipment. Unlike an internet dealer, they're able to help you try on your drysuit or BCD and examine it's fit.

On the other hand, I know some small shops that would not dream of doing the kind of behaviour scubafanatic describes.

While not a 'chain' store, Scubatoys probably fits that definition as far as the OP 'meaning', meaning lots of brands/product available, and highly price competitive, and Scubatoys IS local to me. I'm not going to say all small shops have a 'violent' reaction against a Walmart-type competitor...some seem reasonably indifferent to my shopping there while others react very strongly.

I had just such an episode happen to me yesterday, which I may or may not discuss in a future post, I need to see where my 'relationship' with shop 'X' stands and think hard before I 'go public', if I choose to try to preserve the relationship, I'll keep quiet and consider it a lesson learned.

Thanx for all of the replies. I now understand the importance of supporting the small dive shops. What's a little bit more money for personal service. It's worth the extra cash. I don't shop online for dive gear, but there is a local chain store that is considerably cheaper than the smaller dive shops, but the service definetly suffers. I will use the small dive shop from now on. Thanx again everyone...HAPPY DIVING!!!

I'm not even certified yet and my LDS knows me, if not my name than they know my face. I recently purchased my regs/bc/computer and just by spending some time in the shop they gave me a price that beat what I found online even after sales tax. Plus this wed they're gonna let me try it out in the pool; if it dont work they'll swap it out till it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom