Challenges in your first 100 dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving from shallows to zero vis bottom to avoid tug boat props
'Controlling my breathing' and not flushing CO2
Dumping BC for descent with air off
Going from lights on to all dark mid water on night dive
Sinking over weighted no mask in surf zone, from carrying extra weight belt and deflated lift bag

Some I handle more easily now; most I strive harder to avoid.

Last edited:
Had my reg free flow a cpl times found out it was due to a cracked body didn't panick just dealt with it grabbed buddy's into while I shut my tank down and let the reg warm up
Can't think of any others right now

Wow - that's quite a list. I just passed my 100th a few weeks ago, and I guess I've led a charmed life. Nothing major, other than a few silly things like forgetting to zip up my wet suit, forgetting to strap on my computer, having a shoulder weight fall out on a descent (which was how I learned I could reduce my weight by 2 lb and still descend).

My first 100 recreational dives were far too long ago to remember all the challenges I went through.
One that always enters my mind, because my wife to date won’t let it die when we teach navigation in courses was leading a night dive off the Truth in SoCal. I lead us to deeper waters instead of shallower. After she informed me, I did my best to get us back to the route..... we were completely lost.
It was a nice surface swim with a full moon.

Nothing too dramatic (thus far). But around dive 30 I had my first experience with minor task loading. Leg cramp and broken mask strap at the same time in murky vis, with buddy swimming away. Reminded self to stop, breathe, relax, and deal with things one at a time. Again, nothing serious, but this was the first time I had to consciously stay calm and analyze a non-normal situation.

Lost a weight pocket at depth and really struggled to keep down at the safety stop

Disentangled my buddy when his inflator hose mouthpiece got stuck in one of the links of the chain we were descending along.

Got separated from buddy on a low vis night dive

Involuntary ascent when dealing with my first drysuit dive after my OW ert

These are not necessarily all from my first 100 dives, or in any order, but...

Buddy's alt hose ruptured at 8 meters.
My LP hose ruptured at 15 meters.
Forgot my fins.
Forgot my weights.
Lost a weight pocket.
Got caught in current and had a kilometer surface swim back to the boat (no more split fins after that).
Triggerfish!
Saved an OW student from drowning during their swim test.
Lost my mask (x2) on entry.
Almost ran out of air during the safety stop because my fun diver had gills.
Got tangled in my own SMB line.
Blew more than one safety stop.
Stared down a Great Barracuda.

I'm sure I'll think of more. :)

Swam up current with buddy. Underestimated current and overshot anchored dinghy on way back. Had to dump weightbelt (permanently lost).

Shark swimming straight at me on night dive seriously frightened me.

Inadvertantly pulled regulator out of wife's mouth on a scallop dive. Couldn't figure out why she was playing with her regulator out of her mouth.

Accidently kicked regulator out of wife's mouth who was swimming too close behind. (We're still married).

Surfaced over a hundred meter's from dive boat - long surface swim back with wife (we're still married).

Largish lobster wrapped around my face 30 feet underwater. Attached to my hoodie.

First stage entangled in fishing line on night dive
Weird panic attack on surface at entry due to mask flood affecting my contact lenses
Reverse block
Ignore boat call back, not knowing what it was

OOA at 60 feet due to the 1st stage being partially closed during a buddy check. I now double check my own valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom