Chamber questions and donation issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha All!
Earlier today I was approached by two friends of mine, a doctor and a commerical dive businessman, who are working toward bringing a deco chamber here to Kailua-Kona Hawaii. They were asking me about the idea of asking local dive ops to ask their divers for donations to the deco chamber on a per diver per day basis.

My questions to all of you:
1) Would you make a donation if you were diving here?
2) How much of a donation would you think is fair?
3) What would you like to recieve? (reciept, brochure, a chamber tour,please make suggestions.)
4) What else (non medical related here) would you like to see a chamber used? for example should the chamber be open for tours, chamber dives, equiptment testing, etc?
5) Should the chamber be open for medical use too, or dedicated to diving related injuries?

They need suggestions and are open to any and all input. I said that I would post this here on SB and ask your thoughts. If we here at SB are not opposed to the concept of a diver donation plan, then I will create a poll to ask for suggestions on the amount to ask per donation.

A personal view:
Here in Kailua Kona we currently do not have a chamber, but one is (maybe) on the way. We need to get one and here is why. If you get bent here in Kailua Kona on the Island of Hawaii, you currently have only one option for medical treatment.

Here is the timeline and the location of each treatment center:
You get injured (bent) and the boat you are diving on lands at the Kailua Pier at 2pm, an ambulance takes you to the hospital at the lowest elevation of 1500 feet, you wait for the air ambulance to arrive at the airport 20 miles from the hospital, they fly you(preasurized to sea level for your flight) to the island of Oahu (city of Honolulu) 1 hour and 10 minute flight, another ambulance drives you to the hospital with the chamber 11 miles away, you get into the chamber at approx 7pm.

I know this time line for a fact, my wife was bent two years ago and I was with her the entire time.

Here comes the best part:
You get out of the chamber 4-8 hours later and are released from the hospital... to go where?? If you do not have any friends or family living on Oahu then you will need to get a hotel for three days due to the restrictions of flying after your chamber treatment. Then you get to purchase a one-way ticket back to Kona where all of your stuff has been sitting in your unused hotel room.

DAN covers almost every expense of this ordeal, but that is not the point. The point is way back at the beginning of this monologue... the 5 hours from onset of injury to climbing into the chamber, and the hospital at elevation while waiting for the air ambulance.

All of this being said, what are your thoughts about this? All input is good input. Please share any and all thoughts, not only about the per diver per day donation, but all aspects of the chamber program.

Thank you all for your time and attention.
Matthew J D'Avella

The trick to getting a chamber that will have some longevity is twofold:
(1) Get all dive operators to automatically assess a small fee to support the chamber (a la Galapagos Islands), and,
(2) Set the chamber up to support its own operation at the hospital through hyperbaric medicine operations.

Good luck! BJD

BigJetDriver69:
The trick to getting a chamber that will have some longevity is twofold:
(1) Get all dive operators to automatically assess a small fee to support the chamber (a la Galapagos Islands), and,
(2) Set the chamber up to support its own operation at the hospital through hyperbaric medicine operations.

Good luck! BJD

Those were exactly the same thoughts that crossed my mind as I was reading his post.

R..

Most of the places I have dived which have chambers available do ask for a "donation" for the chamber. It is viewed as "insurance" for the possible need to use the chamber. I believe that the charge is a dollar per day per diver. It is not mandatory, but I think that most everyone chips in for it. Most of the smaller islands do not have a hospital that can use it as well to help defray the costs, so the donations are its only suppoort. The one on Roatan is primarily used to treat the lobster divers (locals), since they constantly violate safe diving practices to try to make a living. You can see the people lined up for their treatments every day at the chamber facilities.

I would be certain that most everyone would be willing to help with a donation, as long as it does not get excessive - I know I would. Thanks. :wave-smil

Looks like a strong case for a local chamber, you may want to look into DRMO the defense reutilization service. You could get an adequate double lock 220 through the supply system.

I would think it would aid your cause to show just how attainable installation of a chamber facility is monetarily. You could have new ASME certified system for less than $40,000 (including supporting air and O2 system)

Jeff Lane

Hi LioKai:

To keep a chamber operational, it will be necessary to find a local physician with training in hyperbaric medicine to see that the facility has enough use to maintain it properly.

Dr D :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom