changeable batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yegor

Reaction score
I try to decide for which dive computer I should go for ( I am still can’t decide).
At first I also liked a lot the SUUNTO Stinger. But when I read that it would cost me a fortune to replace a batt, I skipped my mind from this DC.
Now I want a DC where the user can replace the battery.
For now I am doubting about the UWATEC SMART PRO, but does it have user changeable batteries?

For the SUUNTO I still can decide for the Vytec (without the transmitter), Vyper or the Mosquito or UWATEC wrist models.

Uwatec computers have to be sent in for battery replacement. On the plus side, they are fairly large and should last for several years before this is needed. On the negative side, the batries last for several years and by the time this is needed they may no longer be supported by the manufacturer.

That's pity, so big housing and still I have to bring it in. On the other hand I can imagine that a manufacturer is doing this, to preserve any possibilities of leaking (I guess).

Well, bye bye UWATEC 4 me. They looked a kind of robust to me, I liked that. I also liked the infrared transmission to from the Smart Pro.

What about the mentioned SUUNTO products. I believe that the Vytec (with out the wireless) is still cheaper then the Stinger. It looks also very good to me or is it a big overkill and a waste of money? Of is the Vytec just better then the Vyper or Moscuito? In terms of better calculations and quality.

If you don't plan to use the air integrated feature, then I would suggest save money and go with the Vyper. The two computers are very similar, with very similar(same?) housings and the only differences are the air integration, gas switch (but only nitrox) support, and user changeable between metric/imperial, and the ability to select a less conservative algorithm. There may be more, but I don't remember.

IMHO, other than the air integration, the other features are ones you can live without.

So, if you see yourself getting the wireless transmitter in the future, (yes, they are REALLY NICE!!!) then get the Vytec. Otherwise, get the Vyper.

I own both and love them. I have been using my Vyper as a backup to my Vytec ever since I got the Vytec.

Ok, then they are both great computers, Vyper and the Vytec.
So the Vytec would be not the smart option for me if I would decide to buy him. AI isn’t for I want to go for and it will maybe some years later if ever the moment will be there that I will decide to use the possibilities of the Vytrec multigas. For me it’s much more likely that in the next two years that I will dive with Nitrox (multigas????).

Yesterday I read on a site that UWATEC Pro series comes also with a lifetime batt. This sounds like for free lifetime batt. replacement for the batt. is empty. This sounds nice.
It’s the costs for what I don’t like (like from the Stinger).
Despite all the negative publicities of the UWATEC Smart Pro, I believe that is still a good computer or somebody have to change my mind :).
For me UWATEC of SUUNTO, are both high-end recreational dive computers. For now it looks to me that the decision for what have to be made, is for what I like the most and which product I feel more comfortable to use.
So I downloaded from SUUNTO and UWATEC the log managers (both comes with several demo dives). This already gave me a very good view/impression for what I like from the computer, or not.

For how don’t know to where to get them, here are the links of the software:

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

http://www.uwatec.com/imperial/framem10.htm

This is what happend if you are new into diving.
My search for batt. give me much more information then i would imagine. That's good.

Here is a article about UWATEC for what i found.

http://www.tabula-international.com/DIV/SmartPro1.html

It's about the diver cannot monitor remaining no-decompression stop. I read about this subject before somehwere on this site, but i could never understand why that's was so important.
Now i understand :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom