Changes to Fundies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK:
The proposed changes will only serve to make the class even better then it is today. One of the comments I hear very often at the end of the class is "The class was great, but it was just too much information in too short of a time". Essentially what we are trying to accomplish is to remove that problem by extending the class to 4 days, and including additional skills that some, if not many, of the instructors already include.

For example, those that have taken my class all know that I always put in a toxing diver rescue. Until now that was beyond the scope of the class, but we felt it important enough to make in inclusive going forward. GUE is one of the only agencies that actually encourgaes it's instructor corp to exceed minimium standards, so what JJ did was to incorporate many of the advances that some of us were doing anyway..
I doubt anyone will be disappointed in the changes, all we did was to more formalize many of the excesses that we felt were important.

Moreover, we reduced the in-water ratio's to provide for a more complete hands-on experience. I believe most will see this changes in a positive light, especially given that the norm of the industry is to go in the opposite direction, ie; increase in-water ratio's, shorten classes, omit certain skills, etc. etc.

Hope that helps.

All the changes that I see will be good ones and I believe will have nothing but possitive effects. I think that seperating between rec/tec is an outstanding idea that has floated around far too long now, it's good to see some action being taken on that forefront. Extending the class and lowering the ratios will go along way IMO toward increasing the success rate of the participants, as will the seperation of rec/tec.

Good move guys, this is the stuff we have come to expect from GUE.

The potential for upgrade is another point well thought out.

My hat is off.. don't be blinded by the glare coming off my dome!:11:

SeanQ:
I was thinking along the same lines.

Bob or MHK: What would be the recommended route for someone who currently dives a single tank recreationally but wants to pursue tech in the future? I've read many posts on this board advising future DIR-F students not to practise skills before taking the class because it is hard to unlearn bad habits. So for someone like me who has no doubles training but wishes to learn, which would be the best route?

I have heard it said not to practice the skills before fundies also... this has always confussed me... While I agree that if you practice them wrong then you will be worse off. We had a fundies class of 8 people MHK and AG came up to seattle. We had all went out and practiced as a group for 2 months before the course. While we didn't perform perfectly, we had taken the time to find out how to practice properly. All eight people in the class passed first time through.

With the wealth of online videos, forums etc.. I don't see why you would not go out and practice the basic 5, fin kicks, ascents, valve drills etc..

IMO I'd say put on the doubles, work on the buoyancy and trim. Get used to reaching the valves and going thru valve drills, I can't imagine why you'd take fundies in singles if you are going the tech route?.. in doing so you put yourself in the perdicament of setting up the rig & practicing valve drills on your own anyway or waiting until you do a far more demanding class to try all this stuff in. If your going to get jacked, do so in fundies not in the Tech 1 environment.

All the above is just opinion (crap.. I wish I could spell better!) TIFWIW

lamont:
s/northeast/the planet/

English please Lamont, I don't speak code, it makes my eyes bleed.

waynne fowler:
IMO I'd say put on the doubles, work on the buoyancy and trim. Get used to reaching the valves and going thru valve drills, I can't imagine why you'd take fundies in singles if you are going the tech route?.. in doing so you put yourself in the perdicament of setting up the rig & practicing valve drills on your own anyway or waiting until you do a far more demanding class to try all this stuff in. If your going to get jacked, do so in fundies not in the Tech 1 environment.

I must disagree with this statement. Everything I've read on this board and others indicates that the DIR philosophy is all about SAFE diving. Buoyancy control, valve drills, common configurations, ascents, and descents are all about safety. I intend to take the DIRF class in the spring in a single tank configuration. If I every officially decide to move into tech diving I'll have most of the basic skills required AND practiced. That should make a transition into doubles easier, and allow me better use of my time learning and understanding things like decompression theory, and not spending alot of time on learning how to kick.

Practicing the wrong thing the wrong way is hard to reverse. One of the biggest issues I see when people show up for Tec class is that they have gone out to practice(as requested) but during the practice no one gave them GOOD critical feedback in a timely manner. Thereby creating a muscle memory of poor form.
I suggest getting into fundamentals ASAP. Depending on the time frame of your interest in moving towards Tec will determine singles or doubles. If Tec is close, then doubles, if it is down the road a bit, do it in singles. I would encourage you to contact the instructor that will be teaching your program before you make any decisions, possibly the Tec instructor as well. Doing the fundamentals with the potential Tec instructor has also proven to yield very good results. Allows a history and a longer term relationship in your advancement, and they know all of your strengths and weakness'. Best, Bob

Originally Posted by SeanQ
I was thinking along the same lines.

Bob or MHK: What would be the recommended route for someone who currently dives a single tank recreationally but wants to pursue tech in the future? I've read many posts on this board advising future DIR-F students not to practise skills before taking the class because it is hard unlearn bad habits. So for someone like me who has no doubles training but wishes to learn, which would be the best route?

Derek S:
English please Lamont, I don't speak code, it makes my eyes bleed.

y00 r n07 31337! u \/\/i11 b h4ax0r3d!!!!

Just saying that bob's not only one of the best instructors in the northeast, but also on the planet...

lamont:
y00 r n07 31337! u \/\/i11 b h4ax0r3d!!!!

Just saying that bob's not only one of the best instructors in the northeast, but also on the planet...

1 4m 700 3#173, 1 j5$7 P0n'7 |{n0w h0w 70 (0P3..... :D

Dan MacKay also would be at the top of my shortlist for NE instructors.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom