Changing gear for Tek Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steponwind

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone

I will start to learn Tek Dive by get my Advanced Nitrox Course.
But before that, I should change my old gear to new.
I check some products, and I think i will get things as below

Reg: APEX ATX200 with DIN adaptor
Octopus: APEX TX20
Dive Computer: UWTec Smart Pro(with gauge mode)
Gauge: Not decide yet.

I don't know if I should use the gauge for Tek Dive, cause ordinary gauge can't have 300bar measurment.

Please kindly tell me your opinions, Thanks and best regards.

Steponwind

For SPG the Scubapro, Halcyon or OMS brass SPG's are nifty.

I personally would switch that AT20 to an ATX 40 Octo if you are going to continue to use a single first stage with double second stage configuration. But you'll get a lot more opinions on this subject on here.

Lots of threads on "tech" gear configuration on here as well. Do a search on it.

This is also an interesting read. I like to mix up a cold jug of Kool-Aid and review it from time to time.

Taking the advanced nitrox on a single tank setup is possible, but the instructor I DM for really, really tries to encourage students to have their own doubles and sling bottle before taking the course since it's basicaly a lead-in to the decompression procedures course anyway.

There's not many shops here in New Jersey that will rent Tek gear so it can be hard to deal with if you don't own it yourself. You should check out what's available for rent in your area and the prices before deciding this though.

If you're really going Tek, you'll eventualy need to look at a doubles setup: 2x1st stage & 2x2nd stage + a 1st/2nd stage for the high O2 (adv-nitrox) bottle.

In general, most divers won't stay down long/deep enough on a single back tank to need much decompression (if any). Where adv-nitrox becomes really helpfull is when you go deeper and stay longer which normaly requires a larger gas supply and therefore the doubles setup.

Personaly, I own 5 Apeks regulators and agree with your choice of regulator. :)
3 x atx100: 2x din with atx100 2nd stage each for doubles + 1x yoke with atx100/atx40 for "rec" diving.
2 x atx40: 2x din with atx40 2nd stage for 'adv-nitrox/decompression' sling bottles.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your suggestion, you really give me a good idea and will save my money. Due to I live in Taiwan, not much information here for Tek Dive, even my instructor try to stop me to get Tek Training. So I will go to Philippine for Tek Dive course, the same place where I learn Nitrox. Really Thanks for everyone's opinion. Wish you Merry X'mas and Happy New Year. and Good Diving.

Steponwind

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom