Changing tanks on the yak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King of Snarge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What methods do you use to change out your tanks on their kayak?

I have been kayak diving for several years now and regularly switch out tanks while on board. It takes a bit of time and patience and I was wondering if anyone else has a better technique.

Lately I've been taking three tanks on my Cobra Fish-N-Dive: one inside the kayak hold and two in the depression behind the seat. After the first tank is done, I switch out the empty one for the one in the hold and connect the full tank from the hold for my next dive. For the third tank I switch out the empty for the full one in the depression behind the seat. (The tanks , BC, etc. behind the seat are strapped down tight.)

One of the problems I have had to figure out is how to get the tank in and out of the large hold hatch in the kayak. I have to put the tank in valve first (facing the bow) and slide it inside the hold until I can refasten the hatch.

Yes, it does sound like a pain, but it cuts down on the amount of paddling and increases bottom time while providing something to do during my surface intervals on the yak.

I am WAY too uncoordinated to do this, I'm sure I'd tip and flood the boat. Where we yak dive it's only 2/3 mile to the reef, so I just paddle back and switch tanks and paddle back out.

We usually go out about a mile or two. The Cobra is quite a barge - very wide and heavy, but also very stable. I have seen people stand up and fish in it.

Awesome! I'm diving an OC Prowler 13, less stable but it is at the maximum weight that I can lift into the Hullavator with my bad back. If I had to paddle out so far to dive, I'd find a way to switch tanks too! Where are you located, West Coast?

I was speaking to a couple dive yakkers on the west coast and they normally do two tanks. To switch tanks they take the empty, tie it off, dump overboard. Switch tanks, haul empty aboard. Dive. Dive. Dive. I have room in the middle between my legs (OK Trident 11) that I can add some straps to hold the tank.

And the problem with that is???? :D :D :D :D :D

King,
This may sound like a stupid idea but put a prussic or other loop of rope around the end of the tank to give you a handle to pull the tank out.
Bill

One of the problems I have had to figure out is how to get the tank in and out of the large hold hatch in the kayak. I have to put the tank in valve first (facing the bow) and slide it inside the hold until I can refasten the hatch.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom